Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Having met Toro, I know where inki is coming from, Im 37 and I dont think I could cope with toro, its not the walking and handling of her, its the keeping an eye on her, shes into everything,

I guess I would put Toro on par with a 2 year old child, if you know what I mean, cant turn your back but shes up to no good....

shes so funny, but I dont think I could cope with her on a daily basis.
Definately not like any other dog I have had, and shes not a 1 off, they all tend to go through that...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Since getting Toro I can't imagine me without a Bullie...and that got me thinking, time doesn't stand still as much as we all would love it to, I'm 47, say I get a good 10 years out of Toro and Inka I'd be coming up for 58, at 58 would I cope with a Bullie ? Would I have to down size the type of dog I wanted ? is there an age when we shouldn't have a dog ?
I'd love to hear what you all think about that !

Funny, Sid & I have had the same chat. We've decided that Marius will be our last 'big' dog (if ever there was a dog to test this though, it's him as he is one heck of a fab dog!)

But, we have also said about the age thing - I sincerely hope that we have Marius for many years yet. But, we don't want to be owning a large breed like a Rott in our Fifties.

Sid joked that he thinks we'll end up getting smaller & smaller breeds, probably starting in this order:-

1. Staffie
2. Frenchie/Boston
3. Pug

4. Rainbow dogs to take us to the bridge!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Aw AM, defo French Bulldog, I'd love one lol
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
As others have said depends on your fitness and health. I'm 56 this year and 2 BC's under 2 years old While I can still care for them and give them the walks etc, then I see no problem. As for when I am older and no longer have Ben & Poppy (don't bear thinking about) I will just have to wait and see. but living without a dog? No Way!!!!
Elaine xxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:24 PM
As others have already said, I don't personally think it is about age, but about health and fitness level. I adore GSDs and will always have one. When I am older and not as fit as I am now, then I will rescue a golden oldie, but am determined to always have one in my life.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I walk a wee dog who was taken from a shelter and her owner is in her 70's.The lady adores her wee mongrel,she always says she doesn't know what she'd do without her.Reckon this wee mongrel would have been pts if she hadn't taken her in,so it has been a good thing for both her and the wee dog,xxxxxxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
1. Staffie
2. Frenchie/Boston
3. Pug

4. Rainbow dogs to take us to the bridge!
Pugs, they are going to be my old and decrepit dogs..(me not the dogs)
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I've always said when I am too old and frail to cope with 2 big powerful malamutts..that I want a westie..that I can bath in the sink LOL
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I think it depends a lot on you support network, my parents are due to get a Springer pup this Summer, my Mam is 60 and my Dad 65. The dog won't get masses of exercise as both my parents are quite lazy, but between them, me, my Brother and the other dogs in the house 40% of the time I think the dog will have a lovely life.

There used to be an elderly lady in the village that had a Poodle. You'd see her walking everyday with this dog and people often admired her for being so fit and making an effort to get out and about with it. Turns out she was just constantly pissed, so if all else fails have a Bullie and just be trolleyed the whole time!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Interesting thread xxxxxxx
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >