Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 12:53 PM

I've been swimming

I've been swimming!

As a youngster I was swimming almost every week and was pretty fit too - I would go swimming for hours and loved it but at 14 I had a colostomy formed and it took me another 18 months to get back in the pool.

I wasn't very fond of it though and I've probably been swimming two maybe three times since I had the colostomy formed.

I've really missed swimming but I lost all my self esteem and it was a lot of messing about with my colostomy appliances when they got wet so I just stopped going.

Well I've been! This morning I got up and was in the pool by 8:15!!
Bearing in mind for the last 6 years the only regular exercise I've done is steady dog walks, dabbled in a bit of agility but had to stop due to my knee, tried the gym but I can't do impact exercise and the cross trainer hurt my ankle so I was only able to use the bike and the rowing machine so stopped bothering so I've not done much at all and am VERY unfit.

Embarassingly, I was in the pool for 30 minutes and did 10 lengths (had to stop for a breather after each one!) but I felt good! I'd pushed my body for the first time in however long and felt like I'd done some real exercise. I used to dance, swim and play tennis and didn't realise how much I'd missed pushing my body and exercising properly.

I'm definitely going again and hopefully next time I'll do a few more lengths! I'm hoping it will strengthen my knee and my ankle a little because it bloody hurt!

Yes - it was a lot of messing about and it took me about half an hour to sort my colostomy out afterwards but it was worth it!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Ooh and the best bit! I was very slim and gorgeous (and only 14) when I had to have my colostomy formed so had a bikini made that is designed specifically for people with a stoma and that bikini is the one I wore this morning - size 10! And it still fits!!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
That's brilliant Lottie, swimming is so good for for, the best weight supported exercise there is!

All three of us go regularly, we spur each other on, as we all get into the routine we enjoy it more.

Hope you keep it up as it sounds like it has given you a real boost this morning xxxxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Size 10, well done!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
That's brilliant Lottie, swimming is so good for for, the best weight supported exercise there is!

All three of us go regularly, we spur each other on, as we all get into the routine we enjoy it more.

Hope you keep it up as it sounds like it has given you a real boost this morning xxxxx
It certainly did

My grandma goes on Thursdays so it was nice to go together but when finances allow I may see if I can make it another day too...
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
size 10, whats that then???? lol

well done on the swimming, it will give you such a big self confidence boost.....
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I'd almost forgotten Mel!! I think it's because they're stretchy! Thanks hun