View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2006, 07:44 PM

worried about missi (liquid faeces - can teething cause this?)

Hi

I'm a little concerned about my little Missi

I think she's got an upset stomach because every other time she goes for a No2 it's more like liquid.

She's 4 months old today and each week we've had her she's put on weight even though the last couple of days she's taken a little longer to finish her food.

Could it be down to teething?

I've not hound any loose teeth, but she has got 2 new ones just breaking through on the top.

Her appitite for life hasn't altered but she's biting me more than normal
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 08:10 PM
The biting could be due to teething - I don't know for certain (no expert) but I'm sure it'll just be her sensitive puppy tummy.

Try giving her some chicken and rice (nice and bland) for a couple of days, or when Takara had an upset tummy (she got it a lot) we sometimes gave her eggs (binding agent!!) to try and help it.

If it doesn't clear up after a few days of a bland diet, then I'd begin to think it could be something a bit more worrying.

Also, if she's not losing weight and doesn't seem under the weather, she's probably ok, Takara had an upset tummy a lot as a baby but it was always nothing!

If you're still unsure get her checked out because I'm no expert!
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the reply

I'm hoping it's nothing serious because she's not at all under the weather....in fact she's probably jumped about more this evening than any other night.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Hi Snert teething can upset puppies tummies a little..

Has the color of her poo changed? I would give Missi boiled white rice with a little white fish small amounts at a time until things clear up than gradually reintroduce her normal food. Have you changed her food recently, what do you feed?

Puppies can get dehydrated very quickly when they have diarrhea so it should not be ignored. If it continues for more than 24 hours when feeding rice and white fish I would see the vet.
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't think it's as dramatic as diarrhea as it's not everytime she goes. Over the space of a couple of days it was alternating with well formed solids .

Today, all seems fine today

We had her on cod and rice during the runny period, her normal food is burn's complete which was recommened by her vet.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Hmmmmm...........sounds so familiar to me.

Mine did the same and threw a temp of 103, went off food for days and was very lethargic, i took him to the vet who was no help but gave him the normal antibiotics and anti inflamatories, did work for a bit but i found that ashton and pearsons baby teething powders worked just as well, and were cheaper.

keep plenty of teething toys around and a bottle of disinfectant( for cleaning up)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2006, 09:22 PM
yep, syd had runny poo when teething, didn't go any more often than normal but tended to be very soft on and off for what seemed like ages. Soon as he had all his adult teeth it stopped.