Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Sleep Paralysis?

Just wondered whether anyone else had experienced this before?
I have a couple of times over the years but had it again this morning and it really freaked me out.
My brain woke up but the rest of my body didn't and I couldn't move at all, not even open my eyes. It was a really horrible panicy feeling as i struggled to try and get my eyes open and then a few second later all was well again and I could move.
I suffer with depression and anxiety (not sure which came first) and get stressed really easily and wonderd if this maybe didn't help.
Anyone else had this?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 05:46 PM
OH dont get me started on Sleep paraylisis (sp)

I have had this on and off since I was in my 20's. It got so bad at one stage that I had to go and see a psychiratrist (sp) again!

My experiences ranged from simply not able to open my eyes like you, to full blown halucinations. I would 'wake'up in the night and convince myself that I could hear people outside my window, that was quite mild. Then it got to being convinced that there was someone in the room with me and it was always menacing like an evil spirit.

I would get to the stage that I could tell when they would happen. It was always, well 9 times out of 10 when I was just drifting off to sleep. It felt like going under anaesthetic you know? that buzzy woozy feeling?

I would try and fight it but the harder I fought the worse it got. Then I would have the frozen to the bed bit, but at the same time I was screaming and bashing my poor OH trying to wake him. I wasn't of course it was all in my head.

It always felt like someone was out to get me. I knew they were there but could not do anything it was realy frightning. It's hard to explain the fear and the feeling of it to anyone who has not had them.

It was like I was pinned to the bed but at the same time I felt like I was being pushed and rolled over on the bed.

The psychiratrist told me why it was happening and that the brain switches off a bit at a time and that the last bit to 'go to sleep' is your awarness. the body release chemicals that paralise you to stop you living out your dreams. It's this chemical that has the effect on you.

It is all stress related. I found the best way to stop them was to go with the flow although it is hard when you know that there is some kind of evil being in the room, no matter how much you tell yourself it's not true. (you can't do this while it is happening, only before and after)

Not had one now for about 6 months. When I do get them they seem to come in clusters. I can't really say that I am more or less stressed when they happen because I'm not.

Elaine xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I've had it happen about twice over the last ten years....very frightening too, I was told by a Doctor that it's when the brain doesn't send the message to the body to wake up....if that makes sense

Whatever it is....it does make you panic
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:09 PM
My daughter who is 17 has had this for a few years now and gets it very very reguarly.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I used to get it a lot when I was working nights, it is often called night nurses paralysis.
My son was a baby then and I would take my nap when he had his. Often he would wake up and cry, I would hear him cry but would be unable to do anything about it, very, very scarey.
I have been getting it again just recently but I have learned not to panic. I try to breathe deeply knowing that eventually I will wake up. Not nice though.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 08:01 PM
It's stress related?

Oh cr*p!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I get it a lot, at least a couple time per week. I think I have kinda just got used to it now and although I find it annoying because I can't get up and sometimes I know I need to I think the best thing is just to try and go back to to sleep and wake up properly when your body is ready as that causes the lease stress and panic than trying to get up and you cant.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your replys everyone, that has made me feel a whole lot better. Thought I was going mad.

I have at times woken up in the night to "see" things in my room and didn't realise it was sleep paralysis as well.
I sometimes see things moving around. I woke up once to find my dressing gown hovering abover the side of my bed rather menacingly. Another time I like you elaineb I sense a presence there and it is terrifying. Sounds bonkers but at least I know it's all linked now and I'm not the only one!

Thank you!