Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
get your training in now, work hard at it, teach a good fetch, and an instant down, follow SB's method and you wont!
My mum taught her poodle an instant down and she picke it really well, was a rescu dog as well and not young.
Do you know the best way to train it? We've got down but can't do it without the hand pointing yet.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I have five collies and they all keep close to me - I've never had any problems with recalling them. If they run - it's usually in circles around me! In fact, the worst I had was a lab/whippet who would become a speck in the distance as soon as you let him off the lead - until we had him castrated and then he was fine.
My collies are stickers as well!! I took Siren on her own the other day and could not get rid of her!!

The collie Whippet cross is a hunter though.... again - speck in the distance...usually 1/2 way don a rabbit hole!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I tried the instant down... it's not happening - he runs up happily wagging his tail and THEN does the down straight in front of me to make sure I've seen it! At least the intention is good!

He's a collie cross and he's in no way a velcro dog - but what he does have (apart from in the woods when everything goes out of the window) is his own little mental radius where he's happy to wander mooch and chill out nearish to me (it's about 20/30m away) - for when I want him near I'm trying to actually teach him the command for "hang around near me I want you where I can grab hold of you if I neeed to" type thing. Of course he goes to woodland and the only trace you get of him is the rustling through the undergrowth before he reappears covered in stuff it's better not to wonder what it is.

Whistles are brilliant - I'm working on training mine to recall to a whistle and he WAS good (before he completely forgot his manners being away overnight - grrrr)!

As for leftovers - if it's something I've cooked that I know what's in it he can have a bit, if it's something bought in full of rubbish and additives - he's out of luck!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I tried the instant down... it's not happening - he runs up happily wagging his tail and THEN does the down straight in front of me to make sure I've seen it! At least the intention is good!

He's a collie cross and he's in no way a velcro dog - but what he does have (apart from in the woods when everything goes out of the window) is his own little mental radius where he's happy to wander mooch and chill out nearish to me (it's about 20/30m away) - for when I want him near I'm trying to actually teach him the command for "hang around near me I want you where I can grab hold of you if I neeed to" type thing. Of course he goes to woodland and the only trace you get of him is the rustling through the undergrowth before he reappears covered in stuff it's better not to wonder what it is.

Whistles are brilliant - I'm working on training mine to recall to a whistle and he WAS good (before he completely forgot his manners being away overnight - grrrr)!

As for leftovers - if it's something I've cooked that I know what's in it he can have a bit, if it's something bought in full of rubbish and additives - he's out of luck!
... u havnt taught an 'instant down' imo... your dog does not know what down means otherwise he would do it
(ie he thinks it means come to u and down) work on it..its a fun one and a very handy command.

i also have a 'stay by' command too
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... u havnt taught an 'instant down' imo... your dog does not know what down means otherwise he would do it
(ie he thinks it means come to u and down) work on it..its a fun one and a very handy command.

i also have a 'stay by' command too
Cut me some slack - we've only had the guy a month and a half Very very hard to do when you've got him in steamroller of eager to please overdrive. Considering he's a rescue dog that we don't know the past of - he's done brilliantly to get to where he has - didn't need the nasty comment about what was a lighthearted remark
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm surprised so many actually favour left overs lol.
Think I'm deffo gonna try a whistle, havn't used a clicker so far, only treats and Milo's done really well, so training to the whistle with food shouldn't be too hard.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Cut me some slack - we've only had the guy a month and a half Very very hard to do when you've got him in steamroller of eager to please overdrive. Considering he's a rescue dog that we don't know the past of - he's done brilliantly to get to where he has - didn't need the nasty comment about what was a lighthearted remark
how was what i said nasty?

it wasnt meant to be taken that way.

but u said u 'tried' the instant down..i was merely pointing out that you had not taught your dog that.
....cut me some slack
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Do you know what your dog is crossed with?
and how he came to be in a shelter?
Just out of interest.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6