Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-08-2010, 03:56 PM

What is your favourite recipe?

...but but but, one that is cooked from scratch with all natural ingredients - i.e no packet flavour enhancers/gravy mixes, such as bovril etc.

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 04:10 PM
My favourite foods are ones where I can see exactly what I`m eating - a chop or a salmon steak with a salad and baked or new potato. Not much cooking, either! (probably not what you wanted )
As far as cooking stuff goes - Shepherds Pie is good but I use Oxo - does that count?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I have several and love cooking them

Mutton and rice
salt fish and ackie
pasta dishes
Stews,
sausage casserole
shepherd pie
cheese and potatoe pie
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Salmon Teriyaki

I make my own teriyaki (sake, mirin and good quaility soy sauce, preferably Japanese) and marinade the fish for at least a couple of days, have to have it with proper Japanese sushi rice (season with vinegar) and pak choi with ginger.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it...yummy!

J.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Salmon Teriyaki

I make my own teriyaki (sake, mirin and good quaility soy sauce, preferably Japanese) and marinade the fish for at least a couple of days, have to have it with proper Japanese sushi rice (season with vinegar) and pak choi with ginger.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it...yummy!

J.
You have made my mouth water just reading that!! I know what I am making for dinner tomorrow night - Thanks!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Sunday Roast - I had to think long and hard about it but mine definitely has no flavour enhancers.

Alternatively it would be my thai yellow chicken curry.

I do most my cooking without using flavour enhancers or packet mixes as i love to use fresh ingredients and cook from scratch.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I think for me it would have to be Beef (or lamb) Coconut and Sesame Curry served with saffron rice, poppadums, natural yogurt and onion salad, and maybe even some home made onion bhaji's.

Not a packet or spice mix in sight
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys - I always get inspiration from you lot
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2010, 05:35 AM
I would have to say anything Indian.

I love making curries, pakoras, chutneys, samosas, breads etc. all from scratch.

I loove cooking in general though - have over 60 cookbooks but sadly I work in the evenings now so they don't get used as much as I'd like

My total favourite curry would have to be Madhur Jaffrey's lamb rogan josh. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

I think I know what we're having at the weekend!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Anything Thai.

Azz, I post a lot of my stuff on FB - here's my latest recipe for Sweet Chilli King Prawn Curry - made from scratch -

Ingredients

* 1 pack of egg noodles, per person
* 2 tbsp sesame oil, plus extra for tossing the noodles
* Half a red onion, cut into half moons
* 2 red chillies, finely chopped (de-seed if you're a wimp ;o)
* Knob of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
* 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
* 2 handfulls of cubed butternut squash (about 3 slices, remove skin then cube)
* 3 baby leeks, sliced lengthways, or you can use shredded Pak Choi
* 1 red pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced (I use Romano as they slice nicely into coins)
* 3 baby courgettes, sliced lengthways and then in half
* 3 spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle
* 400g raw tiger prawns, shelled
* 2 limes, one for juice the other to quarter and serve
* 1 tbsp Nam Pla (Thai fish sauce)
* 2 tbsp soy sauce
* 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
*100ml Chinese rice wine (optional)
* Handful of chopped, FRESH coriander to serve

Method

1. Heat a wok and add the sesame oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the butternut squash and cook on a high heat for a few minutes, until golden.
2. Turn the heat to medium and add the red onion. Stir fry for about a minute until starting to soften. Then add the chillies, ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
3. Then add the rest of the vegetables in order of hardest first. Allow each to cook for a minute, before adding the next. This is to ensure you have an even crunch throughout. In this recipe it works to do the leeks, then the peppers and finally the courgettes but you can choose your own veg.
4. After the last vegetable, add the prawns and the spring onions. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until the prawns have turned pink.
5. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the instructions given on the packet. Drain and toss in a little sesame oil to prevent them from sticking together.
6. When the noodles are done add the lime juice, soy sauce, Nam Pla, sweet chilli sauce and rice wine to the vegetables and prawns. Stir-fry until heated through ( about a minute or two) and serve straight away on top of the noodles, and garnish with chopped fresh coriander and lime wedges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >