Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
So sorry to read this
Its all raw to you just now but you will cope
You will have great days with him
You will forget to cry, you will forget he is ill some days and have great fun with him
While there is life there is hope
and he dosent know he is ill

I know how you feel, when my dad was told he was terminal I didnt know how I would go on being normal - knowing he was going to die
But we had lots of great days, we were all strong for each other and in trying to make each other happy we actually managed to be happy ourselves
and never give up hope

hugs!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
So very sorry to read the news xx
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Ive been following your thread and am so very sorry to hear this,My heart goes out to you.I know how hard it is to take everything in with a Lyphoma diagnosis it can feel very bleak.
I lost my Alfie to Lymphoma 18 months ago and it is still very raw for me,he would have been 6 today
We were offered the COP protocol which involves 3 different drugs,two in tablet form at home and one on a weekly basis intravenously (this gives a better life expectancy,we were told it could be anything from 4 to 18 months more) The other treatment was 2 tablets at home Prednisone (a steroid) and Cyclophosphamide/Endoxana (also used in the COP protocol) this was to basically keep him comfortable,keep weight on etc for the time he had left which was the shorter prognosis of 4 to 6 weeks.We chose the latter and i can honestly say Alfie lived life to the full until the very day that he went to the bridge.
It is a very personal choice and the most difficult i ever had to make,You will do what you feel is right for you both.
Spoil him,cherish each day,capture those moments and know that we are thinking of you and are here for you xx
If you ever need to talk im a PM away ((hugs))
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I am so so sorry, you are having to go through something which is normally reserved for elderly dogs and it seems to be so dreadfully unfair.

You will get through it, because you love your dog. Make the most of every moment, and sometimes writing a daily diary helps. Put down everything, good and bad, before you go to bed........it might help to sort your mind and enable you to sleep a little better.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words, i'm lost for words...

He had an extra fun packed walk this evening and a scrumptious tea.

Thank you for sharing personal experiences and the information Minihaha. I'm sorry so many others have suffered this too xxxxxxxxxx
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
How have I missed this.

I am so sorry to hear about Zeke.

Don't really know what to say, nothing I can say will make it any better.

xx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm so sorry to hear the tests came back positive. I was hoping for a miracle for you and Zeke.

I know its hard, but wow, you've got a heads up that many people don't get. Don't get me wrong, I dont' think dogs with cancer have expiration dates by any means, but knowing its coming, you can live every day with him with no regrets.

I think the natural diet is a good start. I truly believe in the link between processed pet food and cancer. (the link is there with people as well). Chemotherapy is so much safer and more effective these days than it was ten years ago. Many dogs feel little or no negative effects from the drugs. They are quite advanced.

I know that if love could cure cancer, he'd be better already. Hugs to you and Zeke, and sweet Keisha too.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Thank you so much, what kind words.

He enjoyed his first natural meal of the rest of his life last night, he loved it. His appetite is bigger than ever recently. My mum swears by a natural diet. We are also going to keep him away from so many farmers fields with pesticides on (he loves to run through the long crops).

We are going to go down the chemo route. It can even send the cancer into remission for a while, if it is successful. Believe it or not, he looks so good, he's such a fit healthy young dog I just can't believe he's got this fatal disease.

My poor OH is destroyed. I have never seen him cry in the 8 years we have been together as he was last night, soul destroying. He is particularly worried about seeing his strong lad deteriorating.

There's so many thing we wanted Zeke to experience with us, our move to Scotland, maybe even abroad, our wedding (!), kids, we planned a holiday to holland next year..

Sorry to go on.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Thank you so much, what kind words.

He enjoyed his first natural meal of the rest of his life last night, he loved it. His appetite is bigger than ever recently. My mum swears by a natural diet. We are also going to keep him away from so many farmers fields with pesticides on (he loves to run through the long crops).

We are going to go down the chemo route. It can even send the cancer into remission for a while, if it is successful. Believe it or not, he looks so good, he's such a fit healthy young dog I just can't believe he's got this fatal disease.

My poor OH is destroyed. I have never seen him cry in the 8 years we have been together as he was last night, soul destroying. He is particularly worried about seeing his strong lad deteriorating.

There's so many thing we wanted Zeke to experience with us, our move to Scotland, maybe even abroad, our wedding (!), kids, we planned a holiday to holland next year..

Sorry to go on.
I feel for you. Its such an awful diagnosis. But at least you do know. And its worth trying chemo. He's a young fit dog so it may give him a lot of time. Enjoy him, he doesnt know he's ill. He needs you to be the fun, loving owners you've always been. Give him a big hug from me and a sloppy terrier kiss from Tilly. And theres a hug there for you as well. Stay strong, we're all here for you. xx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:55 AM
If anyone had told me that the most I'd have to deal with is the odd puddle of pee on the floor, I would not have believed them. Dylan was already an old dog when he was diagnosed with Leukemia and he is naturally an anxious, worried dog. Most things point to him not being able to fight back but he has. On diagnosis his Leukemia count was in the 80's. It is now in the high 20's. The vets are amazed at his refusal to let any of this bring him down.

Dylan is walked daily for up to an hour and a half. He loves his walks and whenever we meet new people I love to see the disbelief on their faces when I tell his story.

He'll be 14 this month. 4 years since diagnosis and 4 years of chemo and steroids. His coat is luscious, his eyes are bright and he puts dogs half his age to shame! Keep the faith. Miracles do happen!

Both these photos were taken in the last few months.

Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »