View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh thanks for that! The more people I hear about with yellow diarrhea is music to my ears!! Sorry peops!!!

She won't eat anything now. I tried the kibble. I tried the chicken and rice, but the only thing she was interested in was one of Dave's yoghurts, the activia cereal live one, so she ate that! God knows how I'm going to get these pills into her tonight on an empty stomach too, and still no joy with the vet unless it's an emergency, but hopefully it can wait until the morning, otherwise she'll be taken there tonight as an emergency.

I am just going to mash up some spuds now then! I always swore by mashed potato in the past, it's always worked for mine, and Zena has never had it, so she won't think I'm trying to disguise anything in it either like her lovely chicken and rice this morning
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Interesting about the mash spuds! must remember that one, coco is not too fond of the rice, gets fed up trying to pick it up off the floor where it ends up!! she has just devoured a small portion of her normal food, so heres hoping!! right off out now on poo watch!!!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

06-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Aw Helena I hope that Zena will take the mashed potatoes - would her medication be able to be put into it? I just pop Loki's pills down her throat!! She sits and gives me a paw first as well

I do hope the vet will be able to see you tomorrow - tell him it is an emergency!!

Big hugs to Zena and healing thoughts going to her.

Have you tried a scrambled egg and a little rice thru it - made with water, not milk? I give that to Loki as well if she has the skitters.

Hope Zena will eat something.

Take care and special hugs and cuddles from me to her and doggy licks from Loki. Hugs to Georgie and doggy kisses from Loki - and big hugs to you. xxxx
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Talassie. Can I just ask you about that EPI, as you know my previous gsd had this condition. Did your vet send the blood test away at a cost of £100 for this to be done?? If not, then he cannot say she has EPI, because this blood test can only be done at one (maybe two!) places in the whole of the country, and nowhere else, definitely not in-house!
He did send it away, I think to London and it came back at 4.4 which is borderline EPI and the lab's advice was to retest in a month. But the vet decided to put her on enzymes.
I looked at Zena's face to give her a big kiss and I noticed that they had swollen underneath the eyes, I could squidge them they were all jellified, and then I pulled down her lower lid and boy are they red! I have to get her back to that vet and if not today, then first thing tomorrow with the poo samples coz I've got to go with those anyway.
Could this be conjunctivitis. Tala had it a few weeks back.
If she won't touch it, then I'm reverting back to my Hill's Puppy she's always been on, surely I wouldn't have to wean her back on it when she's been on it for life? If all else fails, she'll get the cooked chicken and rice that I've made up myself with the pills. It's imperative that I get those ab's into her, let alone support her growth, that can wait until this is all over I'm sure of that!
I always introduce the normal food very gradually after a diet of chicken and rice because if not I find it upsets their tums and I have to start all over again.

Another thing that's been harping on my memory again is those marrowbones. They got hold of one 5 days after coz Zena had hidden it out there, and I caught them chewing on it, the flies had probably been on it out in the sun, and it has been kind of since then with a few up's and down's especially with Zena last Tuesday night like that, and I'm now thinking that's the reason they both have the same thing, and that would probably be salmonella or e-coli or campylobacter none of which are good, and they last about a week with this diarrhea but they usually get over it.
Ages ago I spoke to raw feeder about marrow bones and she was very laid back about them and said she removed the bones when they got really flyblown.
Let's hope we all get it sorted soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
Interesting about the mash spuds! must remember that one, coco is not too fond of the rice, gets fed up trying to pick it up off the floor where it ends up!! she has just devoured a small portion of her normal food, so heres hoping!! right off out now on poo watch!!!
Good luck! Exactly how long has this been going on with Coco please? Just so I can compare ya see!

Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Aw Helena I hope that Zena will take the mashed potatoes - would her medication be able to be put into it? I just pop Loki's pills down her throat!! She sits and gives me a paw first as well

I do hope the vet will be able to see you tomorrow - tell him it is an emergency!!

Big hugs to Zena and healing thoughts going to her.

Have you tried a scrambled egg and a little rice thru it - made with water, not milk? I give that to Loki as well if she has the skitters.

Hope Zena will eat something.

Take care and special hugs and cuddles from me to her and doggy licks from Loki. Hugs to Georgie and doggy kisses from Loki - and big hugs to you. xxxx
Thanks Rose. PLan A is to try to get her to actually eat this mash, and I've just given her a little taster off my finger and she ate it, so finger's crossed. If she DOES, then of course, I can disguise 3 halves of pills in there but give it to her by hand just in case! Plan B is a tiny morsel of chicken liver which I've cooked up, I will give it to Dave to put on his dinner tray and he can then pretend to give her human food by way of the bit of chicken liver with the pill in it! Oh my lord the things I am doing for these dogs!!! The dishwasher is full up again, the fridge is full up, I've got food everywhere and nothing to eat ourselves! Lol! She just went ballistic when Daddy came home, so finger's crossed she's still feeling ok. I think she just doesn't trust me with this food now what with honing in on the pill in the chicken this morning even though it ws given to her before her food, and then that kibble lunch which she threw up, I've got a lot of work to do to regain her trust now xxxxxx

Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Let's hope we all get it sorted soon.
Cassie had a count of 4 and that was considered high on the 2nd attempt coz the first one was borderline like yours. If she does have it, don't let them tell you it's "gone" one day like they did with me and stop that powder (coz sometimes the vets cannot get hold of it and it's even out of stock online, so always, always keep a spare if she has it!) Another thing you will have to watch out for with the EPI is episodes of bacteria overgrowth in the gut, which could be what's happening now I suppose, and then it's ab's again to cure it, or Vitamin B12 injections, so ask your vet about that, it's called SIBO! Oh I know it all with EPI!
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Coco started with the runs on Friday morning, got sick twice on Friday night, and then the runs TILL?!! still waiting to see this evenings performance!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Same as Zena then, but she started with the sickness on Thursday night/Friday morning, although Georgie kept us up all night on Thursday night with the runs in and out like a yo yo! The strange thing is, I only get this first thing in the morning, and then nothing, all day and all evening, nothing from either of them, although Zena would poo about 5 times a day normally that's quite strange to me too!

Plan A was useless, although she liked the mash. Plan B didn't work either, so Plan C, I found the pills from the mash she didn't eat, put them in another yoghurt pot and Dave gave her that, she thought it was his yoghurt as usual which she only normally gets the dreggs of, so lapped it all up pills and all! Tomorrow is another day!

She's perked right up this evening from her sickness lunchtime and her sleepiness, she's back on form, so I'm not too worried now, but I can't wait for the morning to see what she leaves me out the back! Good luck with your Coco Wendyann, let's hope you get a good solid one and soon!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Spent an hour with the vet this morning and I'm going to post up what was discussed in the hope that it might be of help to others.

The reason for yellow diarrhea is the fact that the good bacteria in the gut are the ones that make the brown colour in poo, so when you have SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overload) that means that the bad bacteria have taken over all the good thus producing the yellow! Glad I found that out!

Parvo has been ruled out because of the fact that they both have only produced a morning poo (nothing further throughout the whole day/evening), same as EPI coz she would have expected more, and the sickness is too far apart. Giardia is a strong possibility because this is what it does, it takes over with bad bacteria and is very infectious, so whichever one ate whatever gave it to the other and could give it to us too! Could have been that cow pat Zena tucked into the other morning? Treatment for this is Panacur granules with food 3 days on the trot, and thankfully, I've managed to just get today's dose down them!

She has extended the ab's for a further 2 days, so 8 days in all instead of the 6 I was prescribed.

Carry on with the Lacto-B and I will continue with that forever more I think, no matter what. She told me emphatically, that OUR live yoghurt could actually be harmful to dogs because it's just not the same bacteria that they have in their gut, so I could have actually caused this myself by giving them a small tub of Activia most nights although the natural one

Salmonella (possibly from those bl**dy bones) and campylobacter are another possibility although we are treating for Giardia at the moment with the worming programme. The two poo samples I took in will be "grown" and will take 4/5 days to get all of the results re: the above illnesses.

I've bought syringes in case I couldn't get this wormer into them via the food route, I've bought pill guns, I've bought goat's yoghurt to mix with the worming granules which worked I've got goat's cheese for the pills which I will give it a whirl tonight, and I've bought fish from P@H to mix with mashed potato which they love so at least Zena will eat! She is eating her old Hill's kibble though, which I have put in her kong ball so she is getting some goodness from that, little and often is the key I think. Goat's milk/cheese is ok, but not diary at the moment according to the vet, I have to steer clear of all diary, but she's happy with the goat be it in a very small quantity.

Also an EPI test has been sent off for Zena, so she was taken down for bloods when I was there and although she didn't want to go, I had to walk with her through the surgery and then shut the door behind them and it worked! Lol!

So, I'm nearly £1,000 lighter with this little lot of visits and meds but at least they'll both be insured for it, although I won't be claiming for Georgie coz he hasn't had the full works like Zena! Purse is now empty Let's hope they find the cause from the samples, or the panacur works together with the ab's, and I can relax again!

Hi Wendyann, I hope Coco has produced something nice and firm for you by now??? Georgie had firm poo again this morning although still orange. Zena's was quite disgusting with undigested chicken and rice from yesterday's breakfast, and then the 2nd one had an almost formed poo right in the middle, possibly from the evening's kibble! Lunch was thrown up if you remember

I hope this current nightmare will soon be over, but I'll be dragging this thread up again when I get some results! Thanks for all the input coz a lot of it put my mind at rest and the rest of it was very helpful indeed, so thanks!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh Good God First off, what's EPI?
Poor Zena she must be whacked with all that pooing I never knew that about the live yoghurt though, so that's something to bear in mind ...won't be giving mine that in future as I often let them lick the pots when finished with

£1000 nearly fell off the chair mate..bloody hell.

So all these blood tests are all for different things then? if it does turn out to be giardia, what then?

Elaine xxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
EPI (Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) is what my old Cassie had for her last 6 years. It's caused when the pancreas doesn't make any enzymes (basically it's naffed)so you have to add powder to their food which is enzymes in itself and then the food gets digested. She doesn't think it is, especially as it's BOTH dogs, that would be too much of a coincidence surely, even though it's a gsd thing!

Zena only does one poo a day, in the mornings, the yellow sick, but today she did 2 this morning,2nd one was slightly better, not a lot, but better! Then they do nothing for the rest of the day, which is so weird in itself to me, coz even Georgie would do two more and Zena would always do 3 in the morning, one afternoon and maybe 2 in the evening? How strange is that? Then again, they haven't been eating properly have they, Zena has either thrown it back up or hasn't wanted much, but today, she was ravenous, so maybe, just maybe she might be on the mend, until I just dosed her up with the Panacur of course!

If it does turn out to be Giardia, then this Panacur 3 day treatment will kill it forever, whereas ab's alone, will not completely kill it off, it will just keep on returning, because of the cycle of the eggs/worms inside, you need to do it for the 3 days to make sure (I've read all about this on google!) I would blame either that cow pat she ate or the fact that if I don't bother to get out of bed at 5am to clear up, she will eat her first morning poo! I know what I've gotta do now then!

If it's the Salmonella or campylobacter I won't know until 4/5 day's time, and that usually clears up with ab's in a week, and I would definitely blame those bones for that one!

Yes £1000, that's £300 for the other night out of hours with the bloods, £300 today, £200 Saturday with both dogs, £100 yesterday for that food which she won't eat, the lacto etc. that makes £900 but what's £100 between friends! The EPI test alone is £100, then we've got other bloods going on in house. THEN she managed to charge me twice for yesterday's stuff when their puter was down so I rang her back about today's invoice and she said I was correct, so she's going to alter it on the puter and credit my account! Yayy, I will be in credit????????!!!!!!
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »