View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 01:42 PM

How Can You Tell If A Staffy Is Pure Bred?

Hi,

A friend of a friend recently got a 'staffy' a few months ago she is about 1yo now and her origins are questionable.

However I have talked to my friend and we both dont think she is a full staffy.

We are worried that she is one of these dangerous pitt bull ones as although she is sweet as a button most of the time, she has just turned on my dog once. Luckily she didnt touch my girl, we intervened in time, but the way her personality changed in an instant was scary.

The woman who has her has 4 children, one a smalll baby so the situation is quite serious.

I have to admit to not knowing much about the breed, if anything so I was wondering all you staffy owners out there, how can you tell if your staffy is pure bred and not got the 'dangerous' pitts in?

Asking the breeder of this staffy isnt an option as the womans ex got it her and lets just say that he is inside now and a dodgy sort so goodness knows where the animal was gotten.

Is there any physical charecteristics that betray a none pure bred SBT?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't think you can tell unless she is very typey, some dogs are pure for their breeds but look nothing like them lol! As to the aggression dog to dog aggression is not the same as dog to human aggression and just because a dog displays aggressive tendancies to another dog doesn't always follow that it will be aggressive to people.
Staffies are renowned for not being particularly dog friendly (if not brought up properly).
Becky
sky_high_bluest
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-04-2007, 02:35 PM
hello! how old was the dog when you got it?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Staffords are well known for not been dog tolerant.But this doesn't make them dangerous around children or people.Not all Staffords growl and i always say watch the queit ones.
Meg turned on Fen yesterday in a split second,a raised voice from me and the command enough,was all it took for her to stop in her tracks.

The only way to know for sure is to contact her breeder.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post

We are worried that she is one of these dangerous pitt bull ones

It is not at all unusual for a Staffie to be dog aggressive ..... its the way they were bred ... just because she is intolerant of other dogs does not mean at all that she will ever turn on a human.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Simple answer is you cannot, unless you contact the breeder - did she go to your friend with any paperwork at all? If so you may be able to trace her lines etc. But without these it would be near on impossible to say.
Dog to dog aggression is a totally different thing to dog to human aggression and the two should never be confused.
I wouldn't be too worried about the dog with your friends children to be honest I would just concentrate on enjoying her as a dog
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 04:39 PM
In short/....you can't.I presume she wasn't brought from a reputable breeder or you wouldn't be asking this question.
However staffies as stated are not the best of dogs in many cases with other dogs so the fact she is showing signs of dog aggression doesn't mean she isn't a staff.
SBTlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2007, 07:05 PM
as has been said dog aggression and human aggression are two totally separate things. staffords have a tendency not to tolerate other dogs well although luckily 3 out of 4 of mine are great with other dogs.

remember they can be protective and are very loyal, as has been said in previous posts experience bull breed owners are normally better with staffords as they "understand" their mentality so to speak.

and can i just say i take huge offence to your comments referring TWICE to the APBT as "dangerous pittie".
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I think this woman should have thought twice about getting ANY dog.. given the reaction to this dog..

Maybe she shouldn't have had ANY dog as ANY dog can be dangerous towards kids or other dogs...

AND if she was worried about it possibly having American Pit Bull blood she should have definately avoided any Bull Type Breed

I also assume you haven't seen the Deed Not Breed thread.. as you seem to be classing ALL Pit Bull's as dangerous

Remember it's the owners that are dangerous.. not the dogs
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by SBTlover View Post
and can i just say i take huge offence to your comments referring TWICE to the APBT as "dangerous pittie".
Me too, but its seems fine to slag off the American Pit Bull Terrier, even thou its very damaging, but on another thread someones said something derogative about the KC show type Stafford and all hell breaks lose!

PIT BULLS ARE NOT DANGEROUS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >