Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2005, 06:31 PM

Poor Nell (mange)

I have had Nell to the vets 3 times now , the vet thought that she may have had mange and shes been treated for that however her skin dosent seem any better if anything its worse , has anyone got any ideas on what we can do to help her and what it could be , or maybe suggest something that they have done thats worked for their dog i would be very greatful
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Has the vet taken skin scrapes and hair samples?
This is the best way to tell what your dog has - if it is mange.

What type of mange did they say it was, and what was she treated with?
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2005, 07:16 PM
The vet hasnt taken skin samples yet and she was treated with stronghold , 2 doses a month apart , he didnt say what type he thought it was , i thought that it was contagious also but they still spayed her when she had that patch , thankyou fou for your help
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 07:24 PM
There are 2 types of mange....Sarcoptic - which is contagious, and treated with Stronghold.
and Demodectic - which isn't contagious, but also isn't treated with strong hold.
My dog had Demodectic mange, and was first treated with Malaseb wash, then another wash called 'Aludex' - but she was illergic to this, so she had an injection of something called 'Ivomec', which cleared her up straight away.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/dem...ange_4090.html

I would go back to your vets, and tell them you want skin scrapes doing, as this is the only way they will know what is wrong with her.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 07:24 PM
That looks and sounds like what my friends lab had, and her vet diagnosed it as Fox mange. Do you walk her where foxes have been? She has had a spot on treatment on the back of the neck for 3 months now and it has worked, the hair is growing back and her dog isn't scratching. Apparently you have to do it for 3 months for it to work according to my friend anyway. Good luck with it, poor dog, must be aggravating her.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
That looks and sounds like what my friends lab had, and her vet diagnosed it as Fox mange. Do you walk her where foxes have been? She has had a spot on treatment on the back of the neck for 3 months now and it has worked, the hair is growing back and her dog isn't scratching. Apparently you have to do it for 3 months for it to work according to my friend anyway. Good luck with it, poor dog, must be aggravating her.

Fox mange is another name for Sarcoptic mange.
The Stronghold should have started to clear it up really
hartleyhare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Im going to take her back , she seems to have little blistery type things that come up and down on here front leg as you can see by the picture , We walk her a lot in a rugby field, i guess that foxes could go there , as i have said shes had 2 treatments now and although the fur is starting to come back its looking worse then ever
Poor Pup
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Could be an allergy...have they sprayed the feild where you walk? Could someone local have used a weed killer?
I would start by bathing and start walking somewhere different if mange is ruled out.I would also use a solution of tes tree to ease the discomfort.I would also suggest getting some QUISTEL...worked a treat for mine
http://www.actigeneruk.co.uk/index2.htm click on the quistel tab at the top
clydey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by hartleyhare
I have had Nell to the vets 3 times now , the vet thought that she may have had mange and shes been treated for that however her skin dosent seem any better if anything its worse , has anyone got any ideas on what we can do to help her and what it could be , or maybe suggest something that they have done thats worked for their dog i would be very greatful

We had the same trouble with r dog skip she was back and forth at the vets and then finally they took a skin sample and blood tests it turned out to be she was allergic to wheat and gluten products problem solved we know feed her james wellbeloved
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

30-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Oh dear poor Nell

Vet should have done skin scrapes for a diagnosis, it could be any number of things causing it, would you consider taking her to a homeopathic vet? If you would I can give links for you to find 1
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >