Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Orkney... how do you see it?

I have just been reading through some all posts after doing a search on 'Orkney' and have come across some surprising posts. Out of curiosity, how do you all view Orkney? Do you think it is a kind of backwards 'twilight zone' as has been mentioned where folk have never heard of health tests and hip scoring? Do you believe there are no breeders up here who carry out these test and that people don't know to check for them? What types of shops etc do you think we have? I'm not wanting to start an argument but as someone who is born and bred Orcadian I am curious to know what kind of picture has been painted about Orkney. I look forward to your replies!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Orkney...to me I imagine is like paradise, beautiful landscapes, clean seas, a bit chilly. People work less and eat healthier. I imagine very close communities where outsiders are viewed with a negative effect.

Dogs...lots of collies! Not many Akitas Yes, I imagine less health tests, few 'top' breeders, more families just breeding their dogs to sell to close friends and family. Less medical vet intervention, your dog has cancer? - chemo?! Nah - pallitive care only. A less strict dog culture.

Great shops, lots of local farm produce to be bought. Less supermarkets, not many clothes shops, but I mean who'd want to spend their day shopping when they live in a place like that!

I can't wait till the day I can visit

You are VERY lucky.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Orkney...to me I imagine is like paradise, beautiful landscapes, clean seas, a bit chilly. People work less and eat healthier. I imagine very close communities where outsiders are viewed with a negative effect.

Dogs...lots of collies! Not many Akitas Yes, I imagine less health tests, few 'top' breeders, more families just breeding their dogs to sell to close friends and family. Less medical vet intervention, your dog has cancer? - chemo?! Nah - pallitive care only. A less strict dog culture.

Great shops, lots of local farm produce to be bought. Less supermarkets, not many clothes shops, but I mean who'd want to spend their day shopping when they live in a place like that!

I can't wait till the day I can visit

You are VERY lucky.
What she said. Do you want a lodger. LOL
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I can honestly say I've always viewed it as an isolate, beautiful place and I presume the pace of life is much slower and more laid back.

I certainly have never thought of it as backwards or twilight zone and TBH, am surprised other Dogsey members have!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I think you should invite us all down so we can see what it`s like. Around April / May would be good for me.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a few friends from round your way so my views are a little biased
- mainly based on the amount my friends drink lol

My mum also lives in the highlands

Personaly I dont have a bad view, I think like everywhere it depends - and depends where you are compairing it too
The same but different, depends how rural you live

as for dog breeding - again, the same as everywhere else, there will be good breeders and bad breeders
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Ha ha! Sounds like you've all summed it up pretty well really. If anyone is ever up this way you must let me know!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't have to imagine it - I've been! I went years ago with my Dad when I was 14 and he was going up there for a week diving.

I still say now to my OH that we should go. He would love the scenery and we could walk for hours and not see another person.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Been on holiday there twice and would love to go again Keep hoping I'll get up to obedience show but when you don't drive
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I have never quite made it to Orkney but One day - I imagine it to be fairly similar to the far north west of Scotland or to the Hebrides, friendly people, laid back slower pace of life, amazing beaches, turquoise seas, mystical and tranquil with good local fresh produce.

I think one of dogseys members affectionally calls Orkney the Twilight Zone as he has come across the fact that a lot of people view Orkney (and in fact in some cases Scotland) as the Twilight Zone

I think there, like anywhere, will be good and bad breeders and there will be those who health test and those who don't, I expect a lot of farmers as an example won't health test there working sheepdogs, some obviously will if they use them for trials but your average everyday working farmer probably won't - or at least that is my perception.

I really would love to head up to Orkney and hopefully will get there in the next couple of years...but feel free to post lots of pics just to make me jealous!!! LOL LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >