Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Must have toys?

My new dog (8 months old Akita x GSD) seems to absolutely love food and toys. Currently he has a lot of bog standard rope and soft toys, which he loves and he enjoys his Kong. My last dog Moon didn't really like toys but now I'm doing some internet shopping and seem to have thousands of toys to choose from and I want to buy them all!!!!

However do any of you have any must have toy which you and your dog wouldn't be without? Interactive toys to keep an active bright puppy entertained, especially while alone would be particularly great
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 01:55 PM
The tug a jug - I wouldn't say it's a "wouldn't be without" bit it does appear to be indestructable - though Tilly loses interest in it if I don't help her get the treats out!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 01:58 PM
The Kong is the number one toy I have recommended to people over & over again. To me it is totally invaluable and the best toy I have ever bought my dogs.

Not a toy, but another thing I would not be without is the sterilised meat-filled bones. Even after eating the filling, our two love chewing on them for literally hours on end. At only 99p each, they are fantastic value for money and give them hours of enjoyment. I usually buy about 4 a week.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2010, 02:05 PM
The Babble ball was a hit in this house... but it seems to have gone missing of late. I think one of my kids have hidden it as it used to go off in the middle of the night and start doing it's evil laugh

Aura's favourite toy, is a stuffed giraffe which crinkles and rattles, its not actually a dog toy, its a baby's toy, but she loves it anyway.

Your poor boy probally has never seen toys before you saved him, I bet he thinks all his christmasses have come at once xxxxx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
The tug a jug - I wouldn't say it's a "wouldn't be without" bit it does appear to be indestructable - though Tilly loses interest in it if I don't help her get the treats out!!
Another vote for a tug-a-jug here.... noisy (as Max throws it against things) but keeps 2 Boxers *very* entertained!!

Also, seems completely indestructible, despite being repeated bashed against brick, concrete, floorboards, tiles etc
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 02:11 PM
i've been looking at the tug-a-jug so I think i will get one of those to start with. Also look at those ever lasting balls. Off to PAH tonight to purchase a Halti and imagine UI'll come back with a pile of toys too (not that he really needs many right now as he's already on a toy rotation or he helps himself to them all )
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Monty also has the tug-a-jug, one thing I would suggest though if you get one is to start off with really small tasty smelly treats, I made the mistake of filling it with just his kibble, he soon lost interest lol!

Monty also has a treat ball which is great, you fill it with treats and can alter the opening depending on the size of the treats, he never gets bored of it and it can take a while to get them all out! - I would definately say this and his kong I wouldn't be without!

Non- Food wise Monty has a rubber snorting pig - they do them in pets at home , he LOVES his, its stopped snorting now and he still always goes back to it! Oh he also loves MY beagle cuddly toy, I always think they love something that is meant to be yours, so if you have any spare cuddly toys going?? (I have loads )

Let us know what you get, I am always open to new dog toy ideas, I love buying them more than anything!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 02:30 PM
oh jake loves his toys! i usually just get him lots of tennis balls (they never last long), cuddly toys (again, they dont last long either) and bones (they do last long )

i used to have one of those balls that you put treats in, and my old boy sam, loved it! so im planning on getting one for jake very soon!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I say Kong too!

Not only are they very tough, but you can break larger bones/biscuits and put them in there and it will take your dog ages to get it out He'll quickly learn to pick it up and throw it around everywhere too

You can also put pastes like peanut butter in there and it will keep the dogs occupied for a while

http://dogsey.pgpartner.co.uk/search...4/st=category/
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Mine love the Wubba - even after they`ve de-squeaked it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >