Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirriejim
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2011, 06:19 PM

Callies weight and diet advice

hi had callie weighed sat shes 25kg the lad in shop said she is well overweight should be around 14kg.
callies 10years old has some imflamation in her legs
i had been giving her 200g twice a day (meat,chicken,fish,tinned food)varied he suggested i give her 120g twice a day of wainrights turkey and rice 25%less fat no treats
also sometimes add 20g turkey or fish+100g dry food (wainrights)
no more meat and chicken
can you let me know your thoughts on his suggestions
and any other advice
whats the average weight of a staffordshire
thanks kirriejim
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 06:23 PM
There's not really a guideline ideal weight for any breed - like humans, dogs are all built differently (this is why the BMI scale is inaccurate for people)
You're better off judging a dog by looks - there are several charts that show the rough shape of a dog at its ideal weight and also over and underweight
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7rL-5qX6n4...ght_chart1.jpg
http://www.thoughtfulpawsgrooming.co...ight_chart.jpg

In general you shouldn't be able to see a dog's ribs (or only just make them out) but feel them easily by touch (not buried under a thick layer of fat), and the dog should have a visible waist when viewed from above.

If she has bad legs then it will do her good to be on the lean side but the amount a dog eats will vary greatly from their activity levels, their metabolism, how well they digest the food, etc. so it would be difficult to suggest a recommended amount.
Is she seeing a vet for her leg issues? My vets are very helpful when it comes to giving an honest opinion on the weight of the dog and when one of my dogs got a little porky, they let me pop into the surgery when it was quiet and use their proper dog scales so I could measure his weight loss If she needs to lose weight then your vet may be happy to refer you to a hydrotherapy pool where she can get a bit more exercise without putting too much strain on her joints (and hydrotherapy can be great for building muscle in the legs which takes some strain off the joints itself)