Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 05:22 PM

Sea swimming

I was thinking of taking Cox to the beach on of these days, as I don't think he has seen the sea! lol!

What I was wondering was whether I need to rinse the salt and sand off his coat afterwards, or is it fine to leave him to dry then brush through?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I have never washed mine after swimming
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Mine get dried off with a towel before they get back in the car, then any salt and sand left in the coat gets brushed out when we're at home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Daisy swims in the sea most days. She`s a fluffy GSD and has a beautiful coat. She was bathed about a year ago when she rolled in something and is brushed about once every 6 weeks if I remember.
If you`re worried, why not encourage your dog to swim in a pond occasionally to get rid of the salt?
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I take mine to the beach regular and have never washed them after their swim in the sea and there coats are fine
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Ours get towel dried and that is it x
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Mine has mild allergies to pollen so we took her to the beach a lot in the summer. The sea water was great for her skin and there are very few allergens by the coast. However, we found we needed to rinse her as she got a little itchy otherwise. You probably *should* rinse to get rid of the salt - apart from anything else they could lick it off. But everyone I asked on the beach looked at me as if I was daft and said they never washed their dog after.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Mine are regular sea swimmers, esp Tonto and he never has a wash after swimming, just watch their bedding for sand as that can't be comfy.

I used to use a sea salt shampoo and rinse from what became Lush cosmetics and that was brilliant as sea salt is very good for your scalp.