Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jennyandrocco
New Member!
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:52 PM

By plane or by car

Hi - we are moving from Madrid to London later this year. We can either send our dog (18m old Lab) back to the UK by plane or I can drive him back. The plane journey is 2.5 hours but I suspect with all the paperwork etc it will take most of a day and I imagine would be a pretty stressful/scary experience for him. The car journey is about 16 hours of actual driving but I imagine I would have to do it over 2-3 days. He is not that used to car travel and don't imagine it will be very comfortable stuck in a car for hours at a time...

...so my question is, what would be the best option? A very scary but short plane journey or a less stressful but very boring 3 day road trip??
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Personally, and this is purely from a personal point of view, I would prefer to drive. At least he'll be with you and not all alone in the cargo section of a noisy plane. Good luck with your decision.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Personally, and this is purely from a personal point of view, I would prefer to drive. At least he'll be with you and not all alone in the cargo section of a noisy plane. Good luck with your decision.
I agree, was ok when they could travel with you as hand luggage but I wouldnt let a dog travel in the hold.
If you drive at least you can have loads of breaks for water. I'd give him sealegs before just to settle his nerves as well.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:57 PM
When I collected Cooper from Germany and drove him to France (in a day) it took 11 hours and he was none the worse for wear, he'd never even been in a car before! I haven't decided whether to go by ferry to bring him into the UK or drive through the tunnel which means I can be with him but is a 7 hour journey each way from Brittany to the tunnel! I've got until November to decide.
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Iagree with vicki on this one personally if it was me i would want to drive back (or get my oh to ,i dont drive ) as that way the dog might not be as frightened in the car with you , and you can stop of along the way to give him drinks and let him stretch his legs whenever poss . i would not relish the thought of them stuck in a dark cargo hold . just my personall opion xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I just think it's better to be bored than scared!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:01 PM
I would personally drive with lots of pit stops I think mine would love it

But I'm terrified of flying(well crashing really) and could not put anything I loved on a plane

But I'm a paranoid freak not sure if that helps at all
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
But I'm a paranoid freak not sure if that helps at all
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Ruby and Onyx have both made the return trip down to our villa in Denia, it’s between Valencia and Allcante if you don’t know it, and neither of them have had any ill effects from it.

The trip from Brighton to Denia is 1,275 miles and we stop three times for the dogs to properly exercise. Once at Orleans, then at Toulouse and lastly at Barcelona. Don’t forget you will also have to stop for fuel, so you always have the chance for toilet stops.

I can do the complete trip in 24 hours as both my wife and I share the driving. If we don’t have the dogs with us we can do it in 17 hours flat.

I hope that helps you out.
Colin
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I would do the trip by car - make a little holiday of it - plan your trip and stop off, you'll find lots of dog friendly Hotels.

Good luck in whatever you decide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >