Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyBambury
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2017, 08:27 AM

My dog won't sleep

Hi there, please can I get some advice? My jack Russel, 10 months old, was sleeping downstairs with no problems until we went away without her for 4 days. She was at home with my step daughter, and the mother in law took her out for the day some days too. Since our return she has been barking in the night, but not every night. Last 4 nights have been rough though. We have been going down and telling her it's bedtime and then she sleeps for a couple more hours. We can leave her barking (we tried this and both us and the neighbours lost too
Much sleep) and frankly don't want to. Last night I was up every hour and in the end slept on the couch and she slept too.
How can I get her to resettle? I'm nearly 50 and can't cope with this lack of sleep!!!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2017, 08:30 AM
The only thing I can suggest is to see how much protein is in the food you are feeding. We did this with another dog that used to come to training at our training classes. Lower the protein and she should settle after a couple of days. Hope that helps. This does depend on what you are feeding though. Is it a dry food?
AmyBambury
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2017, 09:03 AM
We feed dry food, james wellbeloved, but do give her meat scraps outside of that like chicken or ham.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Is this an adult one or puppy? If puppy change to an adult lower protein one. Around 22%/24% dry weight food. You should notice a difference. Don't add tinned wet food. Ham may have too much salt in it which will make her thirsty and then drink more so she will want to pee more which might be why she isn't settled sometimes. Hope that helps.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Is this an adult one or puppy? If puppy change to an adult lower protein one. Around 22%/24% dry weight food. You should notice a difference. Don't add tinned wet food. Ham may have too much salt in it which will make her thirsty and then drink more so she will want to pee more which might be why she isn't settled sometimes. Hope that helps.
Sound advice as ever.
We avoid giving ours human food or scraps of human food. Apart from the adverse nutritional affects, it just encourages them to beg for it.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Ah yes but I will let you into a secret. My Tyto doesn't beg for food but he does like a bit of wholemeal toast crust when I have it. If I have cornflakes he doesn't even bother to come and lay by me. Knowing little things aren't they. My daughters collie would only eat crusts as a reward when training, nothing else. Mind you none of my dogs would eat treats when training, they prefered a pat or good dog. I have looked up James Wellbeloved food and there are quite a few with lower protein in the dry weight foods.
AmyBambury
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2017, 11:03 AM
She's on puppy food (all dry) and I just bought another 2 bags lol. I'll stop the human food just in case she's getting too much protein. She can go in and out the cat flap so can pee as much as she likes. But she doesn't seem to want anything but us when she starts barking. It starts as whining and slowly escalates to barking. If I stay with her she sleeps soundly. If I put her bed in our room is this making a rod for my own back?
koreandoglover
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Had the same problem and turns out all that was needed was a dog bed, something my pet would feel comfortable in.
So I bought my dog numerous dog beds and now he always sleeps in it when its bed time.
One I bought or look over at amazon.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by AmyBambury View Post
If I put her bed in our room is this making a rod for my own back?
Don't know but it works fine for us.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2017, 04:57 PM
At 10 months old, she should be on adult food now.

That said, I think it may be that your absence unsettled her and so she's become a little more uncertain at night.

How did you train her to stay downstairs? Did you start with her in your bedroom and move her.

It may be a way to go for her now. Start her upstairs with you then move her downstairs when she's settled again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >