Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Abuse of Guide Dogs

An investigation should be made into the abuse of guide dogs. I recently sat next to a guide dog during a concert. The poor dog whimpered pitifully throughout. The owner made no effort to pat him or console him. Recently, a TV program showed trainers putting a miniature harness, with handle, on a tiny Labrador Retriever. The puppy was terrified and could not understand why they were doing this. I suspect one of the worst fates to come to a dog is to be chosen as a guide dog. We have great compassion for the blind, but the poor service dog is given little consideration. Someone probably has the courage to face this issue, although there is the danger of the accusation of not having compassion for the blind.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
First of all a dog that is nervous is NEVER reinforced for that emotion by verbal or body contact.

Secondly, if you were sitting next to the dog in question, could you not get the ID of the dog/sowners?

Thirdly to whom did you report your concerns?

The owner, the relevant SPCA branch, the relevant Guide Dog branch?

Did you speak to the owner?

All of the above would be far more constructive than placing a post on a forum I would have thought?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree SB but also agree that guide dogs aren't as great as many would suggest.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:51 PM
I do not think Guide Dogs are a sacred cow, but I do get a little narked when people moan but do not take action themselves.
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-10-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm a dog lover and I come down on the side of the dog every time. People always have tons of support; dogs don't. And what about the precious Labrador Retriever puppy being fitted with a harness when he is barely able to walk?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:41 AM
My uncle had a guide dog. He was treated better than many a pet dog. He was loved as much as any pet & when he retired, he stayed with my uncle. When he passed on my uncle missed his friend so much, he could never bring himself to have another guide dog
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
That guide dog was one of the
lucky ones Velvetboxer. They are not all so lucky.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I am afraid my experience would make me agree with Ramble.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I think Guide Dog organisations could do with a good shake-up personally. Methods have not kept pace with improvements in training and better understanding of behaviour and development of dogs.
But having said that - I doubt a Guide dog has a worse life than most pet dogs today.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I beg to differ, I know several of the trainers in GDBA and methods HAVE moved on quite considerably in the last 10 years; these trainers are MASTERS of operant conditioning and use it on the dogs.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »