Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2017, 02:01 PM

Potty training regression help

Hi all, I'm sure this is posted all the time so I'm sorry, but it gives me peace of mind to ask.
My wife and I have an 11 month goldendoodle. She was originally crated at night and out for most of the day with supervision. Potty training was going extremely well with the only accident being right after she got spayed. So several months with no accidents. I work nights and my wife works normal hours.
So we phased out the crate and let her have the downstairs of the house. She was fine for several months with no accidents during the day while I slept. Then about 2 weeks ago she had an accident, then another, and another. It's not every day but darn close. Had her checked and nothing physically wrong with her.
Just asking for advice because we are slowly losing our sanity. We've started blocking her off in the kitchen and shes been fine there for 4 days with no accidents. Should we just keep doing that or put her back in the crate while I sleep and the wife works? All other training is going great other than this really important one!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2017, 02:39 PM
It could be spay incontinence, do you actually see her go, is it just urine or poo too?
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Its usually just pee. The occasional poop but that is usually our fault for either not supervising or being able to get her out when she needs to. Very rare does that happen. And its on purpose, its not incontinence.
My thought is that we gave her too much freedom too quickly. Also, we've had the dog flu outbreak here for a while and she hasn't been to the dog park in a couple weeks and I think she is upset with us.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Back to basics then, taking her out on waking, after every meal etc etc
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Ya we are going to start crating her again at night. She won't be happy about it but tough. And during the day while I sleep and the wife works we will leave her in the kitchen.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Did you take a urine sample into the vets when you had her checked? A physical examination can often miss a urinary infection.

If she's fine in the kitchen, then I'd tend to stick with that until she's more settled in her housetraining after ruling out infection
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2017, 11:12 PM
Ya I took a sample. I called and asked if she could be checked, and when they said to bring a sample I had to ask how to get one. I felt like that scene in jurassic park when the kid collected the T-rex pee. Shes all good to go.
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

01-08-2017, 09:18 PM
We have a fenced in yard. Do you think we could just let her out or should we put her on a leash?
williamwhitton
New Member!
Male 

08-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Potty training is really pretty simple. You have to be persistent though.