Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-07-2017, 01:45 PM

Puppy chewing the walls!

Write this down as another "I never had a dog that did this"
The house is littered with dog toys, but she apparently now prefers the walls.... how to stop this destructive behavior?

She spent most of yesterday outside and this just within an hour of coming out of her sleeping crate. I heard the grinding in the other room and assumed it had to be one of her hard toys... ugh.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130839.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	5634  
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Yep they do that. You could buy a spray that may work when sprayed on walls or just keep a beady eye on her. She may grow out of it. Could be she is lacking some vitamin or teething. Does she have something else to chew on that is hard eg: sterilised hard bone or similar.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2017, 06:01 PM
I found putting Vicks vapour rub on their favoured corners worked well. I'm sure there must be a similar product in the U.S it's a menthol based chest rub for when you get a cold etc.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2017, 08:11 PM
If you're going to use sprays, bitter apple tends to work fairly well.

Personally, I'd rather watch like a hawk and distract whenever he gets the first notion of going to chew what he's not supposed to
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Lol one of mine chewed the dishwasher door cover panel while I was loading the dishwasher, I was bewildered by the damage to the top of the panel until I twigged what had happened, so watching like a hawk isn't always achievable.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-07-2017, 04:54 AM
Yes, thank god its painted and not finished wood.... this can at least be repaired. "May" grow out of it, lol. Great.
As far as dog toys the house is knee deep in them. Apparently the wall was more entertaining than anything the Menards pet aisle had to offer.

I'd like to announce that Kalimar is at least finally housetrained, knock on laminate.
At least, its been over a week since she's gone inside.
Astoundingly, she has been sitting by the door to notify me when she has to go too, instead of the old dining room delivery.
In fact if it weren't for the wall chewing episode I would have been ready to try a night with the crate door open. Not yettt! Hopefully not never.

I thought I'd include a picture of her, its not recent, she's a bit bigger now but same expressions! Cute dog and high energy. This may be my last puppy, I might be an adult dog adopter from now on we'll see haha.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalimar did it2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	5635  
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Had to laugh at the mention of Vick. I put that on the tops of my wooden chairs when I had a young German Shepherd and she loved it. Bless her loved her to bits and she lived to 12 years old. I am sure you will find a solution to the problem. Love the pic of her.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-07-2017, 06:52 AM
She's very cute, lol has she been ransacking the house in that photo?
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-07-2017, 02:55 PM
No that's my mess lol.
But her favorite thing is to raid the garbage cans and strew bits of paper all around the house. Will have to convert to cans with lids!
I spoke too soon. Fresh poop on the kitchen floor this morning, about a half hour after taking her out to go.
At least she went on the linoelum! ughh.....