Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I agree training is ongoing but when we are talking bad situations life or death behaviours ect I think quicker is better.

Also there's a difference between maintenance and ongoing training. I could maintain recall on normal walks ect just by calling and rewarding with a release command (premack) but many reward based trainers seem to advise long term regular training (in addition to normal recall) and often periods back on lines ect.

Also I assume we are talking normal dogs? What about those with a history of predatory aggression or chasing?

Adam
nowt abnormal bout that
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
nowt abnormal bout that
That reminds me of this awesome post:

(You can find this super awesome blog post by googling "The Myth of Normal Dogs" and clicking on the second link down.)

Ok guys no offense but this is ridiculous. I linked to a BLOG not a forum....WTF? Why is this site so against sharing information sometimes? Adam can link to stupid videos but I can't even link to a good blog post???
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Crysania;2191367]That reminds me of this awesome post:

[Link removed]

yip tis spot on ... deserves a thread of its own
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yip tis spot on ... deserves a thread of its own
Sounds like a good plan. I'll go do that. lol
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I agree.

Adam, I challenged you a while back on some thread to either back this up (and no, Skinner did not say this ) or shut up about it - i.e. stop spreading lies.

IF you can back it up, fine, but you know perfectly well that you cannot.

So either back it up with something very clear, or quit it

WW from another thread.

Bart Bellon discusses it in these two videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLlqiccc_Y&NR=1
150 sec in he talks about varying rewards and stress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDkfP...A14ADD593BC58F

bit at the start about frustration with reward.

The frustration is aversive the dog seeks to stop the frustration, its mild but so is stim

Adam
don't do many videos so could you point out a scientific reference please
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I agree training is ongoing but when we are talking bad situations life or death behaviours ect I think quicker is better.

Also there's a difference between maintenance and ongoing training. I could maintain recall on normal walks ect just by calling and rewarding with a release command (premack) but many reward based trainers seem to advise long term regular training (in addition to normal recall) and often periods back on lines ect.

Also I assume we are talking normal dogs? What about those with a history of predatory aggression or chasing?

Adam
Adam, on other forums you have said yourself that you need to proof a taught behaviour and that it takes repetition over time to achieve behaviour proofing. Have you changed your mind on this? If so, why - it's only a short while ago that you said it
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I found that so easy to train: just make me more interesting than anything else.
I've had a lot of people tell me to be more interesting than the things Ruperts REALLY interested in. Sadly not one of them has been able to tell me how to do that when their usual things fail. I can wave raw meat under his nose and he won't even notice it if he's spotted prey. A horse 2 fields away from us is close enough to trigger that response, I have no chance with a cat just across a road. Same with any other "reward". That's why after 7 years he's still on a long line if the area isn't fully secure.

In some ways I can see people resorting to an ecollar but if it wasn't for Rupe's sheep chasing I wouldn't even consider it. It's no hardship to keep him on a line in areas that aren't secure. Having sheep a very narrow road away though is problematic. I keep my curtains closed when the windows are open as I don't want him going out the window to get to the sheep.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've had a lot of people tell me to be more interesting than the things Ruperts REALLY interested in. Sadly not one of them has been able to tell me how to do that when their usual things fail. I can wave raw meat under his nose and he won't even notice it if he's spotted prey. A horse 2 fields away from us is close enough to trigger that response, I have no chance with a cat just across a road. Same with any other "reward". That's why after 7 years he's still on a long line if the area isn't fully secure.

Be careful you arent rewarding his lack of attention.(bit in bold above)

HOW have you trained his name response? (thats NOT a recall thats a response to his name)

Also what have you tryed in the HOUSE as regard to Shifting the Status Quo?

Have you tryed hand feeding him ALL his meals? for example
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Explain name response and I'll tell you what I've done

I've tried hand feeding him all his meals without making him work for it. I've tried hand feeding him all his meals and making him work for every bite. Both were tried for several months with no noticeable difference. I've even tried doing it outside but he won't even eat out in the front garden although he'll happily eat in the hallway with the front door open. Not sure what you mean about shifting the status quo though. Or what I should be doing to do that if it's what's needed.

Believe me, I am willing to work my ass off if I can get advice, it's just that up to now the advice has mostly consisted of feeding him treats or playing with a toy with him and when he's not interested the trainers have called him untrainable

As for rewarding lack of attention, I'm not regularly offering him food while he's focused on a cat or whatever. On the occasions I have done it he's not even seemed to be aware of the food. Or anything other than what he's focused on. At the vets a few weeks ago he didn't even notice a cat run under him as he was focused on a cat further down the hallway.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Explain name response and I'll tell you what I've done

I've tried hand feeding him all his meals without making him work for it. I've tried hand feeding him all his meals and making him work for every bite. Both were tried for several months with no noticeable difference. I've even tried doing it outside but he won't even eat out in the front garden although he'll happily eat in the hallway with the front door open. Not sure what you mean about shifting the status quo though. Or what I should be doing to do that if it's what's needed.

Believe me, I am willing to work my ass off if I can get advice, it's just that up to now the advice has mostly consisted of feeding him treats or playing with a toy with him and when he's not interested the trainers have called him untrainable

As for rewarding lack of attention, I'm not regularly offering him food while he's focused on a cat or whatever. On the occasions I have done it he's not even seemed to be aware of the food. Or anything other than what he's focused on. At the vets a few weeks ago he didn't even notice a cat run under him as he was focused on a cat further down the hallway.
ame response is simply that, you say his name & he looks at you, anytime any place anywhere!

Using his dinner (like you say you have done) often can tip the status Quo in your favor, How long did you try it for (just doing it, no asking for anything,no distractions)

Have you had him on a lead inside the house & ask him to come everywhere with you? & then really praise him for it?

Are you "touching him" when hes focased "away"? either by hand or lead?
Page 30 of 38 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 > Last »