View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Last attempt to get though to you. If this doesn't work I think we need to accept that we speak different versions of the English language

Thought you said the KC and breed club told you there where no heath tests for your breed required?
CORRECT.

Yet now you say , your breeder has done all relevant tests required by the KC and breed clubs??
CORRECT. The breeders have acted responsibly and done any tests that are required or recommended. It just so happens that no tests are required or even recommended.

So how can they report inaccurately, when you say.. they do recommend health screening?
The DON'T recommend health screening.

I don't think they do report inaccurately. But if you are correct and health testing SHOULD be carried out on Beagle breeding stock, then both the KC and the breed clubs are reporting inaccurately by saying that no tests are required.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Whoa, steady on. I'm not getting into a big one over this as I simply don't know enough about it.

The point I was making was that there is an increasing amount of poor publicity towards the KC lately because of un-ethical breeding standards and I don't like it.

We didn't go out to actively search for a KC registered puppy. We found him on Gumtree and he was KC Reg already and we are not going to breed from him, never even crossed our minds until we'd had him a month and some people we were meeting on walks told us we should look into it. So we did and we now have no desire to stud him at all. He's just a pet to us.
Well what I have highlighted says it all doesn't it(that's a rhetorical question BTW)

What does the KC advise about finding a puppy-look on Gumtree ???? I don't think so

These people you have met are English Springer Spaniel owners/vets/gamekeepers etc ???
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2008, 06:00 PM
In an earlier post you said

scarterThe Kennel Club advised that no health tests were required for the Beagle breed as they have no health issues
Yet now you say your breeder has health screened her dogs , reccommeded by the KC

scarterBoth breeders performed ALL of the health tests required by the KC and the breed club. As did the breeder of the father of both pups
Then.........

scarter the KC and Beagle breed club do NOT consider it appropriate to even recommend testing of breeding stock

Yet you say......

scarter If you are right this would indicate that we really can't trust the KC and breed clubs to provide the advice and information needed to help ensure a healthy breed. Ev
It is a little confusing to say the least..one minute you are blasting the KC and breed clubs for covering up any health issues...then the next you are saying they both recommend health testing for the breed.

Then you say you don't know any breeder of Beagles that do health tests... apart from yours, that is!!!

Which is it!!!!!!!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Surely all dogs used for breeding should have their hips scored at the very least???
My breed has very good hip scores across the board but that is only because people have been so careful about it and continue to be. Even dogs with an excellent hip score can throw the odd pup with a poor hip score?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Surely all dogs used for breeding should have their hips scored at the very least???
My breed has very good hip scores across the board but that is only because people have been so careful about it and continue to be. Even dogs with an excellent hip score can throw the odd pup with a poor hip score?

Absolutely the only breed of dog in which HD has never been diagnosed is the Racing Greyhound. A study involving 1500 greyhounds was carried out & they were all x rayed. None had HD & todate there are no cases of HD that have been diagnosed in this type of Greyhound
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:11 PM
We don't hip score,I don't know of any cases of HD in SBT's,a few SBT's have been done though with very low scores,one I know off had a score of 0/0.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Some of my breed have o/o scores too Sal...but that's because people are so careful about it...even those dogs could throw a dog with a high score..
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble
Have you any idea why the KC and Breed Clubs for many breeds choose not to even recommend it, let alone require it?

I would have thought that it would make sense to screen ALL breeds for any health condition that has been known to occur in the breed - even if just occasionally.

It's one thing to argue that they don't want to alienate members by forcing them to test, but what's the harm in recommending it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Have you any idea why the KC and Breed Clubs for many breeds choose not to even recommend it, let alone require it?

I would have thought that it would make sense to screen ALL breeds for any health condition that has been known to occur in the breed - even if just occasionally.

It's one thing to argue that they don't want to alienate members by forcing them to test, but what's the harm in recommending it?
But the KC do say on their site that any breed can be tested...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post

They do..and so does your breed club does it not, or your breeder would not have had her dogs done!!

But the KC do say on their site that any breed can be tested...
Thats true, and if you look on the breed hip score lists it will also give you the mean score results..

Although sad to say some breed clubs (my own included) do not see HD as a problem, so do not require hip scoring.

Some breeders in my breed will do so, not many sadly..but in the US it is a requirement...one day hopefully, they will see the necessity for it.
Page 11 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »