Male 

17-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Why did you choose your breed ?

Why did you choose your breed ?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I wanted a small dog that had plenty of character whilst not overly feisty by nature. A dog that is intelligent, funny and independent, but still easily trainable with an 'off' switch. A dog small enough to be picked up easily, but capable of a good walk. I also wanted a breed that is not plagued by hereditary health problems.

I got a Border Terrier. Fits the bill perfectly.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I wanted a small dog that had plenty of character whilst not overly feisty by nature. A dog that is intelligent, funny and independent, but still easily trainable with an 'off' switch. A dog small enough to be picked up easily, but capable of a good walk. I also wanted a breed that is not plagued by hereditary health problems.

I got a Border Terrier. Fits the bill perfectly.
Me too!

Last summer the lady that owned the stables I was at the time bred her Jack Russell x Border Terrier bitch to a Border Terrier, I totally fell in love with one of the puppies but I was unable to have him at the old flat, he stayed a couple of nights when he was 8 weeks and I was smitten, he used to follow me around the stables and I’d zip him up in my bodywarmer to take the horses out to the fields!

The lady that owned the dog came over to meet the puppies on day and bought the dad with her, WOW he was the most gorgeous little dog I’d ever seen, small and compact but he behaved bigger, lovely manners and utterly gorgeous, the ears and the eyes won me over!

Fast forward 6 months and we found a house to move to with a garden, I only went to look at it as they allowed dogs and I fell in love with the 130 year old semi-detached cottage. We signed for the house and then about a week later I found a local littler of Border Terriers… OH’s parting words were not to rush into anything…

I paid the deposit on a 2 week old Border Terrier, meeting both of his parents and they were wonderful, so well mannered and both beautiful.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:45 AM
My first shiba was a gift from a friend of mine who used to breed them.

I had just lost every pet in my house, including 3 dogs, and after months without an animal to care for, I was distraught.

"Bumble" was my first shiba and I and Baz adored her.

We've never looked back, and the only comment to make in regard to this breed is "one is not enough"
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Lab -- always had them in the family. Easy dogs and you know exactly what you are getting!

Yorkie -- not my personal choice, so I can't really comment.

Slovak -- I love the energy and drive of the HPR breeds and wanted a dog with much higher energy level/drive than Labs and other retriever breeds. I definately got what I wanted!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I wanted a fairly high energy, intelligent, trainable, medium to large sized dog with short hair. We were looking at GSDs and Border Collies but then I saw an ad for someone rehoming a 9 month old Lab. Even though we weren't specifically looking at the breed I'd done enough research to know that a Lab met all my requirements so inquired about him. He was perfect for us.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Didn't choose my first two mutts, they chose us chose a whippet because they're short haired with short maintenance coats, independant but still affectionate, laid back in the house but hardy enough for longish walks, intelligent, beautiful to look at and fast as a whip!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 11:00 AM
German Shepherd Dog
Always loved GSDs from being a child although was not allowed a dog. Read loads of Joyce Stranger books which cemented the GSD in my mind as the dog I would one day own. Also always wanted to be a Police Dog Handler, and of course their dog of choice was (and in general still is) the GSD.

They are great looking dogs, loyal, brave and completely devoted to their handler. Easily trained, high energy and intelligent. A good protector of people and property. What's not to like?

Border Collies
BCs have always been my second choice of breed, having farming grandparents and getting to mix with their dogs each year as a child on our summer holiday to Ireland. I didn't get really keen on owning one until I got interested in the working side and fancied having a go at sheep dog trials. It also swayed me that my GSD at the time always enjoyed the company of BCs but not so other GSDs.

Border Collies are very attractive dogs, fit, intelligent and high energy. Just what I look for in a dog.

Out of the two, the GSD is what I would consider "my" breed though and I personally will not own another BC but will play around with my OHs instead
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Ben is a rescue that kind of landed in my lap.

I didn't get a chioce with J&C - OH needs WCS for shooting.

My next dog WILL be my choice!!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I wanted:

- Short hair that I'm not allergic to, minimal shedding and grooming/bathing requirements.

- Something without doggy odour that wouldn't drool and make a mess everywhere or stink the house out.

- A largely healthy breed without lots of inherent health issues.

- An affectionate dog who would love cuddles yet not be too in-your-face the whole time.

- A medium sized breed that could cope with decent walks/hikes but that didn't require hours and hours of exercise per day.

- A breed that wouldn't eat me out of house and home; a breed that wouldn't cost an absolute fortune to feed/keep.

- A reasonably intelligent breed that would enjoy learning tricks, a bit of obedience and maybe agility.

I picked a whippet, which also came with the bonuses:

- Goofiest, funniest and more characterful dog I've ever known.
- Amazing and beautiful to watch running at speed.

and the pitfalls:

- Prone to cuts etc due to thin skin.
- Selective hearing for recall when focused on hunting something!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »