View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
what is a lrage does? if some are giving a capsule a day and others one a month?

also thinking about it surely a capsule isnt even raw? and does a capsule = a clove?

Motley had a horrendous reaction to frontline so id like to try garlic. My mum used to put garlic in our terrier X's food when i was growing up and she had an excema type skin condition which i was sure was linked but being about 13 nobody really listened to me... Her one dog now has started with the same condition (another terrier X) so i have told her to stop with the garlic!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
i dont feed raw, but when making tuna cake for training i use garlic powder in that, i have also read that its supposed to be good for poo eaters to get them to stop ( clearly doesnt work in my mums gsd bitch though as she gets tuna cake every tuesday for training and still eats poop, ewwww)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:22 AM
mine have Garlic, vit e, evening primrose oil, fbos, gluco and chrond
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, a little in his sardine treats and sometimes a bit in his dinner too.

He has rarely had any fleas (I have only ever seen some on him I think on one occasion). It might be nothing to do with the garlic of course.

I believe it can possibly cause hemolytic anemia in high quantities - onions are supposed to be worse.

He's 6 now and I've never used anything like Front line etc. I would be reluctant to with the epilepsy.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I, personally, wouldn't feed it to my dogs raw. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's okay for them if it's cooked, but can't remember where and when I read that!

I add crushed garlic cloves to homemade dog treats, such as tuna flapjacks, salmon treats and liver cake etc.

I don't use it to prevent fleas though (that's what I use Frontline/Stronghold for), it's mainly just for variety and taste. They seem to like it!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:02 PM
I use Dorwest herbs garlic and fenugreek if one of thems off colour its really good for infections Spencer was really ill after he got kennel cough at 6 mths old it worked miracles along with ABs of course.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
ANYTHING in HUGE amounts is toxic, including water and oxygen!

I have no issues feeding garlic as of course vets such as:

Richard Allport
Ian Billingshurst
Tom Lonsdale
Nick Thompson
Christopher Day
Mark Elliott

to name but a few all, without exception, extol the virtues of garlic. It is a natural antiseptic, antifungal, vermifuge and anti parasitic.

Also reputable companies such as Hilton Herbs, Dorwest, Nelsons etc etc produce garlic capsules for dogs.

I feed my dogs one clove a day, or a few capsules if I am travelling.

And it does not make their breath smell!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
i dont feed raw, but when making tuna cake for training i use garlic powder in that, i have also read that its supposed to be good for poo eaters to get them to stop ( clearly doesnt work in my mums gsd bitch though as she gets tuna cake every tuesday for training and still eats poop, ewwww)

I've been adding crushed, fresh garlic (have also used powder once when I had no fresh garlic) for ages to food I've made for my dogs and it has never stopped Molly eating other dogs' sh*t! Disgusting thing that she is.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Yep, Jake gets it in his dinner when i remember
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I make liver cake treats for mine that includes garlic , they love the treats and it doesnt seem to cause any probs , is it bad for them ?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >