Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fletch1973
Dogsey Junior

04-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Staffies in Ireland need your help!!

Hi there
I have been asked to crosspost an appeal from an Irish dog rescue for help from the UK for SBT's in the pounds

"At the moment we are getting a lot of Staffies into the pounds here. The pounds very rarely will allow this breed out for the simple reason that it is a Staffordshire bull terrier and they are concerned with this breed.

Now I have taken about 4 staffies out and homed them. Each and every one of them have been excellent temperament. Some are grumpy around other dogs other are great.

Anyway there isn't a rescue here specifically for Staffordshire bull terriers so these dogs are being destroyed when there could be some homes for them in the UK.

Now maybe you have enough of this breed but we need help.

What I want to do is set up a relationship or link with a reputable UK rescue so that we may help these dogs who have limited time. There aren't tons of them just a good handful. Sure we wont be able to help them all but even a couple a month would make a massive difference.

The dogs can be assessed here, vaccinated etc but fosterers are few and far between for the same reason there are no homes.

Also:
I contacted the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Association of Ireland and he has confirmed there to be NO rescue groups specifically for Staffies here. He did tell me that there are 26 Staffordshire breed clubs in the UK and he said it is best to deal with the UK.

He seemed like a nice man. Just wish they would stop breeding them. He said no problem to home puppies but not adults. I let him know how many had come out of Ashton pound alone so as he has that information at least."

Here are two dogs which are on death row at the moment

This boy has now been PTS

Out and safe

If anyone can help please PM myself or contact Tara email tara@dogtrainingireland.com

Thanks
Claire
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 06:52 PM
been reading about this Fletch on the other boards-
Im really shocked that there are no staffy breed rescues because there are some well known staffy affixes over there and a strong showing circuit too ............

by the way the title of your post may confuse people about the breed - as people may assume you mean rehoming the breed commonly called irish staffys and not as you intended staffys in ireland
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 08:11 PM
omg they are soo gorg!!i hope they get homes asap!!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 08:15 PM
i would love to rescue one probably live too far away tho
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 10:35 PM
If you're serious Jen there is usally a network of volunteers who will arrange transportation and homechecking but they will home to the UK
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Jenny, dogs from Ireland are transported over by a fleet of volounteers.

If you genuinely want to re-home one of these dogs, I'm sure that can be arranged to get him of her over here
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 10:43 PM
im am genuinly interested, jus worried cos we have a dog and there is a small child in the house. but i would love to rescue one of these dogs if there is a suitable one that needs a home
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 11:29 PM
good for you jenny
fletch1973
Dogsey Junior

05-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for your replies, it's good to know that people care. Tara really needs help from a rescue, preferably an SBT rescue, who can provide backup and support over here, as she is obviously across the water!! She has rehomed several SBT's over here, so please get in touch with her if anyone is interested in rehoming one. It just amazes me that there is no SBT rescue in the whole of Ireland when there are quite a few breed clubs. There is only one bull breed rescue in Ireland, which takes in non bull breeds as well, most Irish rescues will not take bull breeds (SBT/APBT) because they cannot rehome them.

Please guys, if any of you have any contacts in rescue, ask them if they could help one of these dogs.

Claire
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2005, 11:08 AM
So sad....hope they get some help soon.
Even more sad...the top piccy!! RIP LITTLE MAN!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >