Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Bad Batch of Burns?

I know Burns is a good quality food, but just wondered whether anyone had ever experienced a bad batch?

We had a 15kg bag delivered just before Christmas & Hoki has been really funny about it. Normally she will eat anything & I've never ever known her to leave food before, but she has left this Burns on several ocassions.

When she does eat it, she seems to be a bit off colour - a bit windy (which she never normally is) and quite runny poos.

I know its Christmas, but our house hasn't been full of festive treats - she did have some turkey the weekend before Christmas, but otherwise she's had the same as usual.

Yes, she prefers real meat & tinned food to kibble, but she has always been too greedy a dog to turn down anything edible and I can't believe she has suddenly decided to be fussy. Normally she would eat anything better that was available and then go back to the kibble. With this bag, she has left the kibble all day without touching it - completely unheard of for her.

I've contacted Burns because I really think there must be something wrong with it, but just wondered whether anyone had ever experienced anything simliar?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:40 PM
They could have altered the ingredients slightly which may be responsible?
Becky
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi Hali, we feed Burns here too. Normally 100% but as you mentioned it I have noticed the boys not wooffing it down as normal The thing is there have been a lot of changes to their normal routine over Xmas. My oh has been feeding them in the morning, and they have been leaving one bowl and sharing another

I have a measure gauge in their food box, so I wouldn't think he is over feeding them ( which is why I introduced the measure )

What flavour are you on ? I'm off to check
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
They could have altered the ingredients slightly which may be responsible?
Becky
It's possible, though I would be surprised if a change of ingredients alone caused her not to eat it.

I was seriously worried the first time she refused it - thought she must be quite ill, until I realised it was only the Burns she wouldn't eat.

Will be interesting to hear what they say.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, I had this one summer when I changed them over to Burns, they just didn't want to know, both of them!!! I put it down to it having gone off, due to the heat, and because of course it doesn't have any preservatives in it! Maybe the company who supplied it to you didn't store it as they should have done???? Can you find out???? Anyway, I did have the same and I stopped feeding it because of what happened to me, because the heat of our summers now, there's no possible way I could have kept it under the recommendations, which is probably 20deg??? Don't know, can't remember!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Trixybird - its the High Oats that Hoki is on - because she is normally such a greedy dog.

I did wonder about the changes over Christmas & in fact at first put it down to this, but we have been back in our normal routine for several days now.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, I had this one summer when I changed them over to Burns, they just didn't want to know, both of them!!! I put it down to it having gone off, due to the heat, and because of course it doesn't have any preservatives in it! Maybe the company who supplied it to you didn't store it as they should have done???? Can you find out???? Anyway, I did have the same and I stopped feeding it because of what happened to me, because the heat of our summers now, there's no possible way I could have kept it under the recommendations, which is probably 20deg??? Don't know, can't remember!
Thanks H,
I ordered it off Burns direct, so would hope that they had stored it correctly, but does make you wonder. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced there is something not quite right with this bag.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Were on Chicken & Brown Rice at the mo.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Just states keep in a cool dry place. Mine is in the utility room ( bagged ) and a weeks worth in a air tight container.

Barf .... ?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I had a bad batch this time last year - it was only a 2kg bag and I was furious that in less than a week of opening it appeared to be going mouldy!

When I rang and complained they asked me for the batch number on the packet, and it would appear that they had received loads of complaints regarding this batch, they came and collected and replaced with a new bag! I think the whole batch had got damp in them!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >