View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Split claw - should I do something or let it heal by itself?

Hiya,

Rocky has been licking one of his back paws for a few days now, on & off. I thought it was just the salt irritating him, but I've just noticed that one of his claws has a split and there's pink showing along a line about 1 cm long.

I'm a newbie dog owner (had Rocky for around 8 months now - he's a 5 yr old lab) so I don't want to be rushing to the vet every 5 minutes with trivial stuff. Do split claws heal up themselves or should I go to the vet's ?

Any advice appreciated
tatieh
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
hmmm my one dog had a split dew claw nail on her right paw last year and this year on her left. it bothered her a lot, i had to have a vet pull it out. ouch.
the vet had to sedate her both times. it was not a fun thing. but i figure having your split nail catch everything is not fun either.
the real question is if its bothering him. my dogs was split, both times, all the way to the beginning of the nail.
on her dew claw of all nails and who knows how that could happen.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-01-2010, 01:10 AM
I'd be inclined to have a go at tidying it up. Be careful not to nick any skin. Maybe file it down?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Hard to say without seeing it.

How much discomfort is the dog in ?

In the meantime it might be worth just bathing the area with a little salt water.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 06:33 AM
i was on a course wilth Mav last weekend & when i got back i noticed flynn bothering with his foot. Ive found he had ripped his entire nail off, left with just the Quick, a small stump!!!!- O/H has no idea how he has done it

Anyway ive Bathed in Boiled water with Salt & a dash of Cold water to cool it & a dash of Surgical Spirit. Really Bathed it , flushing the wound, & put a sock on him. one of my ankle socks, works well cos his hock goes in my heel! Taped half way between his foot & Hock. Bathed Three times a day from sun Night till TUes, then just once a day. The sock is off now & its really harding off niceley.

Just have a tidy up of it & bathe it, Stick a sock on if its very bad!