Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wen4567
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Fencing ideas please

I have just moved into a new rented house, which thankfully has no problems with dogs living there.

The house has got a huge garden - two sides which are fenced, the problem is one side is just hedge with several large gaps in which our dog (Izzy) can fit through.

Please can anyone think of any ways that we could block of the hedge? We have tried chicken wire through the trees (if you no what i mean lol) but it is just not strong enough. We would love to put up a proper fence but with it being a rented house this is just not possible.
At the moment we are having to take Izzy out on a long lead which is such as shame as we want to have the back door open and let her run around freely.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Could you put post in the ground in front of the hedge and attach strong chicken wire to it?
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Sorry, that was meant to be posts! in the ground, I did this to keep the dogs away from an area in my garden, a mallet to bang post in, and clips to attach the strong chicken wire, can easily be removed by landlord if you left there!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 07:13 PM
How about trellis fencing? it's relatively cheap and far easier to remove when youleave than c/board or f/board fencing.

Alternatively, how about some catte/hoprse fencing? I have 12 guage cattle fencing attached to my trellis fencing which goes across my patio; separating the patio from the lawn. Originally it was to add extra strngth to the trellis but it's also stopped the dogs chewing the wood of the trellis.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Have a look at wind break material

http://www.allplas.co.uk/acatalog/Pl...Windbreak.html
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 08:56 PM
We have one small area of hedging with this sort of problem, (the rest is a lovely six foot high brick wall!) and we solved it in a way that might suit you too.

Buy a bunch of electric fence posts - they are not too expensive. Then a suitable length of heavy chicken wire of sufficient height for your needs. Also some plastic fasteners (the type that thread through themselves and lock tight). You may need a few metal tent pegs too.

The fence posts have long spikes on the bottom which just push into the ground, so you can space them out along the hedge. (Each end post must be firmly stabilised by attaching to something solid) Next attach the chicken wire as tightly as possible, using the fasteners - you can use as many as necessary as they are very cheap, and are permanent until snipped by scissors to remove. If there are thick branches in the hedge, you can attach the top of the chicken wire to the branches in the same way to ensure that there are no gaps. Finally, if your dog is a digger, use the tent pegs along the bottom of the wire to secure it firmly and tightly into the ground.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 09:49 PM
A roll of stock fencing embedded into the hedge and secured with cable ties?
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.smallholdershop.co.uk/fencing.html we have this sort of fencing (but NOT connected to electric!) to stop the dogs getting on the veggy garden it's enough to stop our big lively two, even though they could jump it but against a hedge that would not be any problem and it's very easy to take up and down.

Good luck.
Sophie
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Could you ask your landlord if they'd mind you putting up fencing? They probably wouldn't complain if you paid yourself, and then you can scour Ebay, Gumtree, etc. for cheap panels. They're awkward to transport so you may get lucky and find someone local selling some at a good price. I got probably 7 or 8 panels of 5' high solid fencing and then 1' trellis to go on top from someone on Ebay, I asked if he'd do a Buy It Now price as I needed it to pass a homecheck ASAP and he sold it all to me for about £30 and had his friend with a flatbed truck deliver it for a fiver - bargain! He wasn't really after the money but his wife had made him list it rather than bin it, so he got a bit of cash he wasn't expecting and I got a great deal (and passed my homecheck!)
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
How about trellis fencing? it's relatively cheap and far easier to remove when youleave than c/board or [a social network site]oard fencing.

Alternatively, how about some catte/hoprse fencing? I have 12 guage cattle fencing attached to my trellis fencing which goes across my patio; separating the patio from the lawn. Originally it was to add extra strngth to the trellis but it's also stopped the dogs chewing the wood of the trellis.
f / board is an abbreviation used for feather board fencing. It's nothing to do with a social networking site.

I agree with other posters too - it would be wise to ask your landlord first to put up any fencing but I can't see them objecting if you're covering the cost yourself. Just make sure that if you do take it wirth you when you leave, then the garden is exactly how it is now so he/she cannot claim that anything else has been removed or damagewd. it may also be worth taking pictures beforehand just in case anything goes pearshaped when you do decide to find somewhere else.

I don't want to put you off and maybe I'm a little OTT with stuff like this, but I saw my brother get ripped off for over £1000 because of garden fencing when he rented a house in Stechford (near the train station). The landlord insisited the fencing was there when Richard moved in. Richard couldn't prove otherwise and like a fool, just to keep the peace, he paid up. The worst of it was that the whole lot only cost £400!

Having said that, you must have a good landlord becuase so many now won't allow dogs. So why not call them and have a chat. Relay your concerns abotu the hedge and you never know, he/she may even pay somethign towards it.