Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 03:08 PM

feeding tripe...and eggs!

Im gradually introducing raw tripe into my dogs meals. Iw as wondering how much to feed them?- I know that every dog is an individual and alteration will be needed to suit each of them but i was wondering what spprox amount to feed them daily?(after they have got used to it in their diet.)
sadie weighs 25kg and is perfect weight and yoda is 30kg and needs to gain weight.

Also yoda stole an egg from the kitchen yesterday(dont ask lol) and enjoyed eating it ?(raw) will they help him put on weight? how many are safe to feed per week.

Just after approx amounts.
thanks
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Jess (32kg) has either half or one pound of minced tripe per day and she loves it.

With regards to raw eggs, they are great for them, but that again is more what suits your dog more than anything else. I don't give Jess eggs very often. I know people who give them every other day though
Thornesstaf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I used to feed my gsds 1lb tripe a day, my staffs I feed 1/2lb tripe a day. They dont like eggs!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
There seems to be a generalized concern about feeding raw eggs to dogs and cats, as it is believed that it may lead to biotin deficiency, due to the avidin contained in egg whites, which binds to Biotin interfering with its absorption. While many people understand that when feeding whole raw eggs, the high contents of Biotin in the yolk will offset the avidin in the white.
Others claim that it is only safe to feed cooked eggs as cooking destroys the avidin.

This can lead to skin and hair coat problems,raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
I would lightly cook (scramble eggs) just to be on the safe side.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
i met a man the other day at work who has a huge rottie and i asked what he feeds him as he was in great condition and he said just raw tripe and occasional treats. he said all his rotties hes had, have had tripe even from when they are pups. would they get all the nutrients from this. sorry to go off topic
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
There seems to be a generalized concern about feeding raw eggs to dogs and cats, as it is believed that it may lead to biotin deficiency, due to the avidin contained in egg whites, which binds to Biotin interfering with its absorption. While many people understand that when feeding whole raw eggs, the high contents of Biotin in the yolk will offset the avidin in the white.
Others claim that it is only safe to feed cooked eggs as cooking destroys the avidin.

This can lead to skin and hair coat problems,raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
I would lightly cook (scramble eggs) just to be on the safe side.
ahh right- I will probably lightly cook the eggs then just to be safe. But still give them the egg shell if they want it?

eta. I now know what people are talking about when they say tripe stinks- i nearly threw up
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Where do you guys buy your minced tripe from?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I get it from a company called TPMS. They have a website, so if you google them, you will find them.

Not sure if they deliver to your area, but worth a look. Also, if you google raw pet food suppliers, it generally comes up with a few
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I got these bags from pets at home- its frozen freeflow.Its supplied to pah from a company called amp- i think they have a website.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Would fresh eggs be likely to contain salmonella? I give my dogs eggs sometimes - I love to watch them work out how to `open` them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >