Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Fudge and fireworks

Tonight was our first experience of Fudge and fireworks. Last year she was not too bad but was badly frightened by a firework going off in the garden at the bottom of ours. I had taken her outside thinking they had all finished. Since then she becomes anxious at any bang/alarm she hears. I have tried to ignore her behaviour and act as per normal.

Tonight however she was terrified and I have to admit it did upset me as I felt so helpless. She heard the noises and came charging into the lounge to find me, jumped on my lap and tried to hide her nose in my arm-pit. Her ears were back and she was shuddering. I tried to carry on as normal and put her down on to the floor.She was glued to my legs and I could noit distract her with a game, even her beloved tennis ball. I am getting worried now as the bangs tonight were very distant and over very quickly.

Can anyone give me any advice as to how to prepare for Nov 5th, either with any products,medicine or how to respond to her fear? We live in a neighbourhood with lots of children and garden firework parties so they will be very close and last for hours.She normally sleeps downstairs, would you take her up to sleep if she was still really scared?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
My Gremlin often got into such a state that I was terrified she`d have a heart attack - literally. Her fear comes from her previous owners letting their kids set off fireworks next to her to see how high she would jump :smt091 :smt091 :smt091

She used to be on sedatives for it but really I think they increased her fear as she was less physically `with it` but still mentally alert so made her feel even more vulnerable.

Then I tried her on Valerian compound [ liquid form, from Dorwest Herbs ]

What a difference
Although she will always be aware of fireworks [ and thunder ], the compound takes the worst of it away for her so she can relax and will even play - before, she would shake uncontrollably, sometimes wet herself where she stood through sheer terror, would try to dig through the floor, or would hide in the tumble drier [ she figured out how to open the door so she could get in and hide, it being a small dark space ].
On one occasion she got behind my TV and music center unit and ended up tangled in the wiring in a matter of seconds - the gap is only a few inches deep so she really fought her way to get behind it

The compound does not cause drowsiness or anything like that, they do remain alert and completely `with it`, but it does help relax their fear responses.

It takes about 15 minutes to take effect [ because of being absorbed fast as its liquid ], can be given with food, [ Grem likes hers mixed with a spoon of butter or mayo lol ], and if it starts wearing off while the bangs are still going on, more can be given to `top-up` :smt001

I will stress though, it does`nt work that well for every dog just like an aspirin is really effective for some people but not for others so I would`nt dream of `guaranteeing` a result with the suggestion of you trying it.

Also, although its herbal and contains no `iffy` chemicals, I always give a personal disclaimer of suggesting checking with the vet before administering any non-prescription remedies
[ I did check first, my vet looked at the ingredients then gave it the thumbs up for my girl to try ]

Whether you try any sort of remedies or not, I would definitely say yes to her sleeping with you, so that you can make sure she does`nt hurt herself through panic especially if there are any small gaps she might try to get into or anything she could get caught up on - severe firework panic causes dogs to do things they would never normally consider and hiding is a stronger drive than realising they may hurt themselves in the process

HTH :smt001
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks, I will get some and see how we go.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Good luck. I don't have anything to suggest as we don't get fireworks round here but did used to have a dog terrified of thunder. You'd always know when a thunder strom was coming during the night as he'd get in bed with you and hide.
I know how awful it is to see them so scared and hope you find some way of helping Fudge. I definately agree take her upstairs with you
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 05:04 AM
I used valerian for the first time last year as Shady at the first sound of fireworks tried to launch herself through the patio windows in sheer terror.
I gave her the valerian tablets and topped her up on bad nights with the liquid, she was a different dog. She really didn't bother about them at all. When the first bangs went off she would lift her head and look and then just get on with whatever she was doing.
Thanks for doing this post as it has reminded me I must start her valerian tablets again now so they have time to build up in her system before the dreaded things get in full swing.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 07:15 AM
I've also heard phosphorus is very good, although I have not tried it myself

I have found the DAP diffuser helps a lot, it takes off the anxiety, left on 24/7 during the season.

I will say too that although it's not a good idea to "comfort" a dog (as it can make it more scared) there are times when I do just that in the sense that I will bring my dog upstairs, and if she runs to me and presses close to my knee, I will stroke her, talk to her and do whatever I think may help. So I don't always ignore the fear. I do however take on a "jolly" approach rather than a "oh aren't they horrible, poor little girl" approach.

Not sure if that makes sense but hope it does ...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I successful treated a firework petrified terrier of mine using Denes Nerve Tablets, but that was a long term (well over a year) use of it but it did work.
Percy is currently on Skullcap and Valerian tablets from Dorwest but that is for his fear aggression and I have to say I have noticed a marked improvement in his behaviour so it is definately worth a go!
Becky
ulsterbabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2007, 08:20 AM
HI, i have a 4 year old collie who actually takes fits at this time of the year. I currently have a DAP Plug and i also give him a new herbal remedy called Scullcap and Valerian, im not gonna lie and say that hes cured but he's much much better, if hes in the house and hears them he doesnt bother now. You can also get DAP Collars to wear round the dogs neck.

In Northern Ireland our main fire works nite is halloween night and my vet has given me a sedative for him, its better for him to be sedated as the fireworks are to intense and he can sleep through it fit free.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 08:22 AM
I used a DAP Diffuser for the first time last year and it worked wonders. I also shut the dogs into one room and put music or the tv on REALLY loud when there are fireworks going off. I have also been using a sound desensitisation CD which has really helped, especially with Biffters.
I agree with Wys, whilst i never take on a 'oooo are you okay?' comforting approach, I do give them tickles at points as that can take their minds off it, but I also adopt a happy go lucky, life is so normal right now approach...

Some people suggest making the dog a safe den, perhaps behind your sofa, covering it with a blanket so it's dark and safe...

WE have been given valium in the past....and it made them worse...as Patch said, they were aware, but were also aware that they felt weird so that made it worse for them. In the past we have also been given heavy duty sedatives which totally knocked them out,but research has suggested that they are still aware and scared...I doubt that to be honest, given the snoring that used to come from them!!!!!

The pups are never too bothered, even though Biff (and Mo) are. Mo was the worst though, he would pace and pant and get himself in a real tizz. Biffters, this year seems more calm, don't know if thats cos he's going a bit deaf though.

I hate fireworks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2007, 10:10 AM
The fireworks started early here with a big display at an event on the show ground a few weeks ago. I took advantage of the opportunity and went out in the semi darkness to play ball with Millie .She stood and look at the sky for a moment then rushed around after me as I ignored the fireworks and squeaked her toys and threw them for her.

I am not sure how she will react when the fireworks are nearer but if she shows a willingness to go out to play and ignore them I will take her .

I used this familiarisation technique with Amy when she was a puppy and she was always ok with fireworks until age changed her hearing and canine cognitive dysfunction her ability to relate.

With a dog who is already fearful I would say try and prepare for the event by taking the dog out for a good walk early on/providing a kong or chew toy/putting the radio on to mask the sounds/ignoring the bangs yourself and behaving calmly.

Desensitisation is very useful for many doggy problems and if you can get hold of a good quality tape version of fireworks going off and start using it weeks before the event it may help. The tape is played quietly at first at a level that is tolerated by the dog while playing with the dog and feeding it treats. The sound is gradually increased always maintaining a 'comfortable' level until the dog becomes familiar with the sound.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >