Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2006, 08:34 AM
I agree with Dawn (Nursey) on this.

Your dog should eat what you choose to feed when you choose to feed it.

If you are feeding commercial foods ensure that it is high quality and contains no artificial colourings, flavourings, preservatives, etc. Do not add bits and pieces to tempt the appetite. This is quite unnesessary for a dog that has no medical problems.

Put the food down. Give the dog 10-20 minutes to eat it. If it does not eat remove the food and give absolutely nothing except water until the next mealtime. Put food down again and, if it is refused after 20 mins, pick it up and offer nothing more until next mealtime. Repeat as long as required. A healthy dog will not starve itself.

By adding bits and trying to tempt the dog to eat you will reinforce in its mind that something better may be coming if it refuses what is offered. It must learn that there is nothing better coming and must eat what is provided or go hungry.

It is either that regime or becoming a slave to your dog's dictates and appetite.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Good advice there. Treat as you would a child who refuses any food but ice cream
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

04-08-2006, 11:43 AM
I totally agree with Nursey and SB, no healthy dog will starve itself. Buy whatever you feel is the food you want her to eat and stick to it. I guarantee that if that is all shes offered she will eventually eat it.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Haha sounds just like my Staffie X.

I was told that Gadget ate Bakers Complete on its own, but he kept snubbing it... so I've gotten into the habit of making it more tempting for him... I put a small amount of 'human food' in and it's enough to make him eat the biscuits along with it. Stuff I add can be...
Ham
chicken
1/2 a tin of dog meat
gravy
salmon skins
I don't cook stuff for him specifically, I've just got used to saving our leftovers in tupperware then distributing them to him in small amounts throughout the week.

Shadowboxer and nursey are right though - I should be more strict with him!
But I challenge anyone to resist that sad, disappointed look he gets when he looks in his bowl & there's nothing 'special' in it! Then he just goes & lies in his bed & looks miserable!

OK I know I'm too soft...
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey
I would agree that having your bitch checked over by your vet is a good idea.

Then assuming she gets a clean bill of health, I'd get tough. Absolutely no faffing about with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I would choose the food I wanted her to eat, and I'd put it down to her at the times I wanted her to have it. If she didn't eat it within 20 minutes, I would take it away. I'd put it down again at the next mealtime, not before, and remove it if not eaten within the 20 minutes.

Healthy dogs will not starve themselves, I promise. It will need for you to be very very determined though, you would have to prove to her that you are more determined than her. It won't be easy. If she can get you to pander to her whims she will. Don't make life difficult for your self. Who's the boss, you or her?

Good luck

Dawn R.
We did exactly that with Hollie when she had a very fussy spell when younger - I felt awful making her go hungry, but it worked! She came to realise that she either ate what she was given or she went hungry. It took a couple of days, well worth it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I had the opposite - I was trying to get bruno to eat raw as recommended by a behavioruist - well he did not eat anything for 3 days - and thats as long as I could go - he hated raw bones etc - and wont touch it now as a treat or anything.

some dogs are just fussy and whilst its a good idea not to pander to them - I certainly feel a lot happier knowing that bruno loves his naturediet and will always be happy eating it - then I know that when he is off his food it means he isnt well rather than just he doesnt fancy it

would defo recommend the naturediet with a bit of dry mixer - it also gives nice firm poos !! TMI
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks all for your advice Ive tried mixing pedigree complete dry food with gravy and yet again she turned her nose up at it. So now im going to try putting her food down and leaving it there for 20 minutes and if she hasn`t touched it ill take it up and try again on her next meal. This is going to make me feel really guilty so wish me luck guys :smt102
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Good for you Sara, be strong, it'll be worth it in the end. Keep up the good work.

Dawn R.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi everyone, i listened to your advice about leaving the food down and eventually she would eat it. This morning i put her food down and i have left it there most of the day, its dry food so i dont need to worry about it going funny. Anyway she hasnt eaten at all today and i feel really bad, but i havent given her any treats or nothing. How long do you all think it will take before she decides to eat it. She has been sniffing at it but she hasnt eaten any. Advice please cause im feeling really bad? Thanks
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Sara

It is not a good idea to leave the food down all day. Leave down only 10 - 20 minutes and then pick it up. By leaving it down you are teaching her to pick and choose. By taking it up if she hasn't eaten it you are teaching her to eat what is given when it is given. It may take 2-3 days, but she won't starve herself and she will learn to eat what is offered or go hungry
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >