Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Parvo Virus

I have heard that the area where we live their is parvo around, Honey is booked in for her booster next week but my friend has been advised to get her puppy vaccinated against it he not very old.

Is it only puppies that need to have the actual injection and is a annual booster sufficient enough for Honey.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I think the annual booster should be sufficient.

Your friend wont be able to take her puppy out (unless she is carrying it, or it is in a 'safe' area like her garden or a dog free area) until he has been vaccinated twice.

I have to take my little chap in for his booster tomorrw, then wait a week and I will be able to take him out for walks. Can't wait!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 12:04 PM
We've just had a warning about this in our area as well after one of the vets had two cases in one day.

Is parvo covered in the normal booster jab they have every year?

I'm a bit confused as to whether Monty should have another vaccination. He had his booster in January.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
We've just had a warning about this in our area as well after one of the vets had two cases in one day.

Is parvo covered in the normal booster jab they have every year?

I'm a bit confused as to whether Monty should have another vaccination. He had his booster in January.
When i asked the vets if Honey needed a separate injection for parvo virus she said no and also said that as she was coming in for her booster next week then that was fine but would have brought the booster forward if she hadnt been coming in then. So i think Monty should be ok but i would check with your vet to make sure.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
When i asked the vets if Honey needed a separate injection for parvo virus she said no and also said that as she was coming in for her booster next week then that was fine but would have brought the booster forward if she hadnt been coming in then. So i think Monty should be ok but i would check with your vet to make sure.
Thanks, i think i'll give them a bell tomorrow to be on the safe side.

Seems odd that there seems to be a few outbreaks across the country.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Esme, look on his vaccination record it is usually marked on there.