Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Vehicle Tax from a Garage??

Right.,,

Wondering if anyone can tell me something??

I am interested in a car in a garage...Now it was a trade in..so the person who traded it in..took the tax off the car when they left it there.

So it currently has no tax..If I buy it I will have to either drive it with no tax or leave it there until I can get an insurance cover note and the V5 and get tax..

My Mum reckons that she thinks there was a law that says that 2nd car sales garages have to sell their cars with current tax on them..

Anyone know if that is right? Cos I can't see a way around getting it taxed..
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 06:40 PM
When I brought my last car it was untaxed. From what I can remember the garage taxed it for me but I had the tax amount included on the final bill because it wasn't part of the deal.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Wonder if they would do that..I could pay a deposit..get them to tax it on the 1st may and then pick it up after that..HMMMMMMmmmm
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:35 PM
When I bought a car that was untaxed at a garage, I asked them would they tax it for me before I took it, I also haggled with them and had it free.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Wonder if they would do that..I could pay a deposit..get them to tax it on the 1st may and then pick it up after that..HMMMMMMmmmm
Yes, in my experience every car sales outlet will tax a car for you, that way you drive it legally straight off the forecourt.

Also, if you haven't yet agreed a price try asking them to include the tac FOC. If the car value is low they might be reluctant but if you're buying a 'newish' model it's always worth haggling a little bit
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 09:33 PM
haggle, haggle haggle = i always do and would tell them that i wouldn't have the car UNLESS it was taxed. Quite often they have given me the money.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

27-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I would haggle with them too and they may even agree to tax it for you even if it id only for six months, better than nothing LOL
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 12:24 AM
It's an interesting point as if the car has no tax then it should have a SORN on it and be off road. However if it's from a garage then surely the potential buyer would have road tested it, so do garages have a special dispensation? You can also check the vehicles status online at
http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/Evl...ehicle+Enquiry You could also give the Vehicle Licence agency a call on 0870 240 0010 to find out definitively what your legal requirements are.
I would do as adviced above, get the garage to get it all road taxed before you collect it That way you'll have all the paperwork that you need legally.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:45 AM
You can test drive it with Trade plates... so it doesn't need taxed..

Its pretty cheap..but its an older car anyway..I will ask them to put 6 months on it..as its to come 45 miles..if it were 5 or 10 miles I might have chanced it..but not 40 miles along the M8!!
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 04:42 PM
When we have bought our cars from garages - they have been untaxed.
We have had the insurance cover note for the car sent to the garage directly - by SD - and then the garages taxes the car.

It is something that the garage will do on a fairly regular basis and so they should be able to advise you about how they do things.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >