Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2012, 04:37 PM
what youre feeding is fine, and 4 times a day is fine aswell

i would feed in separate bowls from about 5 weeks, just for the simple fact you can make sure they are all getting the same, and are all eating and growing well

i started off with my pups with 2 to a bowl (had 4 chinese crested pups) then started switching them to separate bowls to make sure everyone gets their fair share.
vicki_mac
New Member!
Female 

30-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, I will be ringing JWB in the morning and see what they recommend. Feel like I am worrying constantly about them, probably more so as they are my friends dogs?!

I'm sure all will be fine!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by vicki_mac View Post
I'm weaning 6 Boxer pups and all is going great. Just have a few questions!

- Do I need to get them eating out of individual bowls before they are rehomed or are they ok all sharing their big bowl?

- I'm using James Wellbeloved with water. I'm giving them 3-4 handfuls (that's between all 6 of them in one big bowl) 4 times a day. Is this right?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give
I never bothered feeding from individual bowls with my flatcoat pups (9 of them) I used two pans and all was fine as they all managed easily to get around to the food. I did feed them 5 x a day when weaning though, gradually increasing quantities as they came less reliant on mum. Always leave water out for them as well, even with wetted down food,

Originally Posted by vicki_mac View Post
But Muddiwarx, how do I know if I am feeding them enough? I have no idea how many grams they should be having at each meal! I know I must sound so dumb, but I have been thrown in at the deep end as I have taking Mum and pups on for a friend. I really have no clue and need to be walked through step by step!!
You could put down two pans of food for a litter of six pups and I put down plenty and there was nearly always a bit left over when they had all eaten enough - some ate their fill quicker than others, but nobody went without being satiated at each meal. Mother will continue to feed them as well when she is with them and if there is plenty for all she can be let in to clear the scraps up when they are done eating - but let them have their food first or she may well eat it all. Relax and enjoy - it can be a lovely experience weaning puppies.

Edited to add

A good quality "complete" puppy food is best - some people also give Lactol when first starting weaning and you can also add a bit of scrabled egg occasionally. I would steer clear of cows milk and cereal for weaning.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2