Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the split doesnt exist IMO

the owner isnt reinforcing the game, he is offering the dog an outlet for his prey drive.
.....my dogs who did flyball would not touch prey animals - even when given the go ahead.

But - as I say - we shall have to disagree....the actions are very different from what I have observed.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
.....my dogs who did flyball would not touch prey animals - even when given the go ahead.
that doesnt matter, as both are expressions of the same prey drive. hence their is no such thing as ball drive, play drive, flyball drive, tug my arm drive, etc, etc.

re (fly)ball v animal, the abscence or prescence of targetting one or the other (or both) isnt relevant, as its all prey drive anyway
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:44 PM
that doesnt matter, as both are expressions of the same prey drive. hence their is no such thing as ball drive, play drive, flyball drive, tug my arm drive, etc, etc.

re (fly)ball v animal, the abscence or prescence of targetting one or the other (or both) isnt relevant, as its all prey drive anyway
what about just sheer excitement
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:46 PM

I don't agree.

In my observations there is a difference.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
what about it?

FAO tupac 'excitement' post
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't agree.

In my observations there is a difference.
what observations?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:54 PM
what observations?
From doing Flyball and ball games and watching my dogs 'hunting' (and in a couple of cases following that through to its natural conclusions).
The attitudes of the dogs are completely different, and, if the play is not continued with the owner, often the dog will loose the ability to do so. I have not seen that with a developed prey drive.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
From doing Flyball and ball games and watching my dogs 'hunting' (and in a couple of cases following that through to its natural conclusions).
The attitudes of the dogs are completely different, and, if the play is not continued with the owner, often the dog will loose the ability to do so. I have not seen that with a developed prey drive.
their would be a difference in your observations, as they are different expressions (different environment, different cirumstances, different criteria, different intensities), of the same prey drive.

sorry if i misunderstand you, but i thought you just said you couldnt get your dogs to hunt live animals, even when you asked them?

of course the dog will stop playing if the owner stops the game, the prey has passed, as would the dog stop hunting the live anmnal if that prey passed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:16 AM
I agree with this. You can stop play, but stopping hunting is MUCH more difficult.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree with this. You can stop play, but stopping hunting is MUCH more difficult.
of course

live breathing prey

toy prey
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »