Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Bringing up foam

Hi
Dori now and again will bring up foam quite a bit and when she does it she just sits there looking at me and wont move. Has she just eaten something and is trying to bring it back up or something else.
Does anyone else dog do this?

Thanks
S-J
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:26 AM
When does she do this SJ - is it in the morning only or other times?

Before or after eating?
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:31 AM
She had done it this morning before breakfast, but i have know her to do it other times in the day.
It's not very often but when she does do it, it worries me.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:34 AM
It sounds like what they sometimes do when their stomach is really empty if that's the case it'll be a long time after last eating and before the next meal...maybe you could give her a snack inbetween to tide her over?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:35 AM
If it is first thing in the morning I believe it can be because of any empty stomach - hunger. Try giving a biscuit or two at bedtime.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
It sounds like what they sometimes do when their stomach is really empty if that's the case it'll be a long time after last eating and before the next meal...maybe you could give her a snack inbetween to tide her over?
SNAP! but you were quicker!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Yep it could be hunger...although Biffters used to do this in his younger days when he was out and about. We had him checked over and the vet said it was exhaustion...his body was knackered but he was too thick to listen to it and carried on going when he should give in!!!!!!!!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you so much for you reply's i will keep an eye on that and give her a snack at night and hopefully wont see her do it again.
I didnt know they did that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Just be aware of gastric torsion/bloat, not always easy to see in a long coated dog, but sicking up foam is a symptom, especially if they have eaten. Doubtful in this case, but something to bare in mind. Hope she feels better soon.
Dawn.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
She had done it this morning before breakfast, but i have know her to do it other times in the day.
It's not very often but when she does do it, it worries me.
She could have quite possibly eaten something which she shouldn't have, a small stone perhaps? or as Rach said she might be empty tummied. I doubt if it is bloat but if you are at all worried get her to the vets especially if she is showing other signs like:
  • Pacing around continuously, or, lies down in odd places
  • Salavating, panting, whining
  • Acts as if he can't get comfortable
  • Acts agitated
  • Unproductive vomiting or retching (the dog may produce frothy foamy vomit in small quanties)
  • Excessive drooling, usually accompanied by retching noises
  • Swelling in abdominal area (may or may not be noticeable)
Strangely enough Molly was sick before breakfast this morning, just yellow bile, but she has been off her food lately and has only eaten half what she normally does so in her case I think she was just empty but she has now eaten a full breakfast of fish and is looking much better.
Hope she gets better but if you are worried about bloating then please see your vet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >