Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Feeding once a day?

Hi
My collie x Diesel is 15 months old. He is fed on JWB kibble (with a little JWB wet added in for taste). I'm a paranoid mummy and worry that I am doing the best for him. I have ended up putting him onto 1 meal a day as he simply isnt interested in a meal in the morning. I was just wondering if this is ok? Everywhere seems to say 2 meals a day is right but he dosent seem interested.

He's in great health and weighs 19-20kg. He is an active little guy so just feel he should be eating more?

My sister in law has a border collie the same age who is also the same and she is feeding him just one. Is this a collie thing? Also when I do feed him around 5/6pm he doesent always eat it in one go - usually he will eat about half then pick at the rest throughout the evening. ????:grin

Any advice especially from collie owners is appreciated!! Thanks!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Sounds fine to me. If his weight is good and he is happy and healthy, do what works. No point in wasting food by putting it down if you know he isn't going to eat it.

My dogs start giving me 'the stare' at their feeding times (x2 a day for two, x3 for one), but they are really foody and wouldn't forgive me for feeding only once a day!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Bolting down one large meal can lead to bloat. I don't remember how much of a problem that is in Collies. If it is working, I wouldn't worry about it.

A lack of interest in food can mean over feeding. Many dogs will wolf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

Many people are loving their dog to death. It is quite common for dogs to be heavy enough to shorten their life. It also leads to many problems through the dogs life, loose stools, diabetes, skin problems, and earlier joint pain.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Dieseldaft View Post
Hi

My sister in law has a border collie the same age who is also the same and she is feeding him just one. Is this a collie thing? Also when I do feed him around 5/6pm he doesent always eat it in one go - usually he will eat about half then pick at the rest throughout the evening. ????:grin

Any advice especially from collie owners is appreciated!! Thanks!
I've fed my dogs twice a day for as long as I can remember & it has nothing to do with worrying about the dogs bloating or having torsions.

My dogs get fed in the morning & then again around 12 hours later, they are fed organic raw & holistic complete, this includes my Cavaliers as well as the BCs, none of them ever leave anything(except for my oldest Cavalier when my BC bitch was in season)

It could be you are actually feeding him too much or too close together if he is leaving or refusing some of his food.

I go by eye when feeding, I like my dogs well covered & not fat & I must say my dogs never look out of coat or in bad condition(coats shiny etc)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Ben put himself down to one meal a day about that age too
and now I am feeding raw I prefer 1 meal a day as it means they can get bigger lumps of food like ox tail and stuff (they only weigh 10Kg so 2 meals a day means v small meals)
If your dog is healthy and happy then carry on - I know lots of working collies who are just given their one meal a day at the end of their working day - seems to suit the breed OK
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
All of mine are on Two at the mo, But in the past ive struggled & am always happy to put them back to 1 per day if i need to. I prefer to do this rather than go through stress each Feed time, They usuallly right themselves at around 4 years old! Bloody Colies!!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Personally I have always fed all the dogs I have ever owned on 1 meal a day, once they have got passed the puppyhood stage, usually by around 6 months.

I feed raw too, and Tai is fed once a day at night, plus he usually gets a couple of chicken wings following his morning walk, or a turkey neck, depending on the amount of exercise he has had.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I`d say it depends on the dog and how hungry they are. If they`re eating a lot, it`s better to split it into 2 meals a day so you don`t overload the system. Or if they`re underweight, or if, like me you feed raw and kibble it`s best to feed them at separate meals because they`re digested at different times.
Daisy sometimes wants breakfast, sometimes not. My other dogs insist on it.
I`d go by what your dog wants.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
My cocker n collie x both have one meal a day and they are fine
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Twice a day here, always have done !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >