Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2005, 12:02 PM

No Disk In Drive

Everyday when I switch on my computer I get this message on the screen "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive" I have to clear it off everytime, which is no problem, but wondered why this keeps happening. It doesn`t seem to effect the running of my comuper, but I dont know what this means.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Possibly something to do with the order your computer looks at the drives to boot from. I've got mine attempting to boot from CD ROM before the hard drive because I have a bootable CD that I might want to use from time to time.

Having said that, I don't get a pop up message, just some text during the boot sequence that says there's no disk in the CD drive, then it boots from the hard drive.

During the boot sequence, you could go into the bios settings and see what order the PC tries the drives. If this message is anything to do with that, you should be able to get rid of it by making sure the hard drive is the first drive it tries.

Am I talking gibberish yet?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Agree think it is the order your PC is looking for start-up information, if it does not bother you and is causing no problem then I would ignore it, but if it bothers you can change the start-up information but you had better wait for more informed members to tell you how to do it I'm a poke and hope merchant myself.
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Yep. def sounds like a boot sequence prob. If you know how to change the boot sequence then it's easy remedied
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for info, think I will wait until someone who knows what they are doing visits me to change it.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos
Thanks for info, think I will wait until someone who knows what they are doing visits me to change it.
that is from microsoft the information about this problem maybe that can help you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330137/en-us
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2005, 07:08 PM
I suspect (like the others) that the boot sequence in the BIOS is causing the problem - unless you have a non-system floppy disk in the floppy disk drive at boot up time. If the BIOS is trying to boot up from a non-system disk, it may come up with this sort of error.

Typical boot sequence is A: (floppy drive) followed by either C: or D: (if D: is a bootable CDROM). If say D: was another partition on the hard drive and the boot sequence had been changed to say A: followed by D: (a non-system partition), you might get this sort of message.

You didn't say what you have to do to get around the problem.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos
Everyday when I switch on my computer I get this message on the screen "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive" I have to clear it off everytime, which is no problem, but wondered why this keeps happening. It doesn`t seem to effect the running of my comuper, but I dont know what this means.
it is a boot sequence probleme but if it has only just started and it was ok all the time and you have not changed anything in BIOS yourself the it could be a programe has changed it for you it is easy to repair if you read that from microsoft but be carefull if you do somethig wrong your system will not boot at all
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Is it giving any other message?
Like insert a certain type of disk?
You can get this when you haven't finished installing some software properly.

Have you installed any software lately?
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 11:01 AM
No it doesn`t give any other messages, just that one when I switch on. Have`t installed any software lately, but cant remember when these messages first started happening.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >