View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
So many wonderful dog books to read, and just not enough time!

Some of my favourites have been/are:

Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander. IMO the clicker training book you buy after a basics one such as "Clicker training for dogs" by Karen Pryor.

It has so much information in, and answers a huge amount of questions in an accessible and clear way. There is some "science"involved, but IMO it enhances the book rather than detracts from it's brilliant simplicity and clarity

It is also designed so that the "science bit" really helps understanding and doesn't get in tne way. Highly recommended.

I also, like Rune, enjoyed Dogwise and also Think Dog by John Fisher. Although he later did his U turn on pack thinking, what I liked about these books is that he was so able to get the reader thinking like a dog, and understanding how to look at problems with the dog in mind. No-one else has really been able to do that since. I'd say they are in a league of their own, but IMO you'd then have to read "Diary of a Dotty Dog Doctor" in which he talks about his U turn, just to balance things up

I'm also a big fan of Donaldson but she's already mentioned a few times on this list, so I shall instead mention a book by Nicole Wilde that I've recently read, which is "Getting a grip on Aggression Cases" which I have found very helpful. I like her style of writing - very clear, amusing, honest and experienced.

Wys
x
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Although she hasn't written any books exclusively about dogs, they cover most domestic species, I find Temple Grandin's work on animal minds absolutely fascinating.I suspect she's spot on the button - or at least I hope so!
Temple Grandin was one of the speakers at the "Compassion in World Farming" conference I went to a few years ago. She's autistic & believes that the way she views the world is more akin the the way animals view the world, e.g. more visual, less linguistic.

I understand that a lot of her work was researching humane ways to kill animals, particularly in the massive cattle & sheep ranches in the American mid-west. If I remember rightly, she was convinced that "trapping" the cattle in a metal device that prevents them moving or struggling, somehow acts like a sort of cocoon & makes them feel less fearful. I struggle with that one I'm afraid. And a friend who has done an equine behaviour course wasn't too impressed with her methods used on horses either.

Other than the ones already mentioned, and again, not specifically about dogs, but on animal behaviour in general are anything by Marc Bekoff & Marion Stamp Dawkins, particularly Dawkins' book "Through Our Eyes Only ~ A Search for Animal Consciousness".
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
You can read a lot of her stuff on line---I think her insights into autism are fascinating.

I am not sure that the basic premise is right in that because she thinks in pictures she has insight into an animals mind----she could be right but so could other people.

We will never know.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
"The 100 silliest things people say about dogs" by Alexander Semynova. She is a behaviorist with 20 years experience of studying dogs and she debunks the wolf-pack theory.

It is an easily readable book as you can just dip into it because it's split in 100 different bits.

I'm selling it on my e-bay site if anyone's interested! Having a de-clutter and have other dog stuff on there and will be listing some small dog t-shirt/coats for £2.00 buy it now price that are new.
She was the author recently on dog read and I found I disagreed with a lot she said. Can't remember specifics but I know I thought she was way out on some things.

rune
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
She was the author recently on dog read and I found I disagreed with a lot she said. Can't remember specifics but I know I thought she was way out on some things.

rune
Which bits?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Inside of a dog - Alexandrea Horowitz

A great book that explains how dogs experience the world. I am going to read it again soon! Love it! (I love it so much I want to buy another copy - how odd is that??).

Why does my dog? - John Fisher.

Explains certain behaviours and ideas on how to change them.

I also like the series on you tube called 'Dog training made easy with Dogs Trust'.

Am off to order The Culture Clash and Dog wise......
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2