View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
i also thought it had been stopped,if not it should be as it's not fair to leave puppys or kittens alone over night about 14 hours thats got to be against these new r.s.p.c.a rules surely
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
They had kittens too.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
There's one near me that always has kittens on sale and they are always ill - runny eyes, evil smelling liquid poo, sores on them, the works. I have a continual mental fight with myself not to buy them all just out of sympathy.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Abit of as shocker that ......... I thought they were no longer allowed to do this. Years ago Birmingham did it and in the old in door market in the city centre, but it was stopped years back. Shocked to hear that
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
They sell dogs and cats in Cardiff indoor market, so I've been told, and we had our first 2 cats from a local petshop, the first one because we felt sorry for her, all our other animals, cats and dogs are rescues, I guess you could say our first 2 cats were too !
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Dont know if this is correct. But a chap I know told me that Harrods still sell pups. We were having a conversation about puppy farmers and he said that thats where they buy in their dogs
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I am really shocked I didn't think it was allowed either.

I saw on TV recently someone in the US looking at pups in a shop - really didn't like it at all.

Poor puppies is all I can say.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Dont know if this is correct. But a chap I know told me that Harrods still sell pups. We were having a conversation about puppy farmers and he said that thats where they buy in their dogs
My sister saw them in Harrods - small breeds like lhasas and chis she said. Disgusting. They used to sell puppies and kittens in a local pet shop, but it stopped years ago. I thought it had been stopped completely, so I wonder whether the licence is too expensive for the smaller shops and so it's only really obtained by the big chains?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I have seen the puppies in Harrods all proudly showing their KC certificates. Every small breed you could think of and a few large breeds... I found it shocking.

There are no puppy pet shops round here anymore, the last one closed a few years ago. They were awful, apart from the puppies they also stocked marmosets, owls and other 'exotics'. I was glad to see the back of them.

Pets at Home up here have Blue cross days where the rescue centres come with a selection of adult dogs and puppies for people to look at and choose. You can begin the adoption process in the shop and complete it at the centre.. Much better idea...

Unfortunately as both I and my partner work and our pet sitting arrangements are not taken into consideration I have never been able to pass the home check to rescue a dog . Always had to privately rehome or buy a puppy.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I think that Pets at Home idea is a brilliant one.

BTW i guess one of my other issues with pet shops selling puppies is that as ageneral rule i simply don;t think anyone should be breeding puppies without potential homes already planned for them. What happens to the puppies in the pet shop if they don;t get sold? There are simply far far far too many unwanted pets out there.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >