View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't think anyone would suggest that at all.

I personally would have rather it had been banned but half measures is OK by me if that is what DEFRA and others have decided in consultation.

If they have also decided dogs should not be shown docked at shows where the public pay for entry then I'll go along with that as well.

They (presumably DEFRA?)have said that agility etc is acceptable as a working display but only for legally docked dogs. That is a shame for dogs in rescue with a high work drive who have either been illegally docked or have no paperwork----but that is another issue.

I tend to the view that in 10 years time docking will be going the way of horse docking. I remember a docked pony when I was a kid and he must have been one of the last. That too was done on welfare grounds apparently.

Time will tell.

Rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
NOt sure what the frown is for, however if you are a breeder and you intend to have your dogs worked and you have 6 definite customers for them, what do you do if two of them pull out for reasons beyond their control?

Perhaps it would be better to kill the dogs rather than home them with people who have them as pets?

Remember, dogs have to be docked at no later than 3 days of age (if I remember correctly) you do not chop them off later (unless they have been damaged).

As I said before whatever YOUR personal feelings are about docking, it does not alter the fact that if you meet the legal criteria then no fraud or dishonesty of any kind is occurring!
strange answer
...perfectly aware how docking is done thankyou i am a vn
..... mind u ,have noticed your attitude aint bout making friends,just stating your opinion ... hello and welcome btw
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have only ever had 2 Welshes through classes - neither have been docked. Although one is a inside the docking ban (he is 2 1/2) the other was a bout 4 years ago.
The ones who work and show are still docking because they feel the have to for the sake of the dogs and if that means they cant show at certain shows the attitude seems to be so be it.
Before the ban there was only two or three breeders who didnt dock now there's only two or three who do.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 04:19 PM
From the HPR point of view we who own them want them to continue to be truly dual purpose and not split into working and show as cockers and labs have tended to be!

so you will not get a working lab/cocker in the show classes as they look like a completely different dog!

We do not want that to happen to the HPR breeds.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
How on earth would anyone provide proof of anything which may or may not happen in the future??

Can you prove it won't happen for instance?

Its a really silly thing to ask for and doesn't enhance any discussion/arguement.

I think it might happen, you think it might not happen.

As it stands neither of us are likely to find out!

rune

fifteen
Precisely! You can't prove it will, but more importantly you have no evidence whatsoever to back up your theory that it will, it's just your personal opinion nothing more. That's how ridiculous your statement is in reality!

*Nine Hundred and Seventy Two*

I did not think this was about illegal docking? I thought this was about docking a litter where dogs were potentially destined for the show ring? That does not make the docking necessarily illegal does it? All that has to be provided is the possibility that the dogs 'could' be worked or the owner has the correct paperwork and some vets will dock.

SO in theory - people could choose to dock knowing that most of the dogs (if not all) will be shown and not worked?
You cannot prove it would not happen?
I've never said I could, I wouldn't be so stupid! Of course I don't believe it would happen, but believing something and having actual physical evidence to support a belief is something else entirely!

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
If you disagree with docking then start another thread, otherwise there's little point in you contributing really is there?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

I've never said I could, I wouldn't be so stupid! Of course I don't believe it would happen, but believing something and having actual physical evidence to support a belief is something else entirely!
Yes - it is a belief - based on what a lot of people say they like.

IF it was made legal to enter the dogs at these shows with public paying entry, I do believe more breeders would take the option to dock.

I have met a few people who will not have certain breeds now they have tails, and a couple of people who stopped breeding because of it, so yes - based on my personal experiences I do believe it would happen.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 09:50 AM
This is where I give up on the 'proof' issue. I am assuming that anyone bothering to read it can see how stupid it is to ask for proof of something someone thinks might happen in the future.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 10:08 AM
There are some people who have stopped breeding and even judging because of the tail docking rule, however, the predicted plummet did not happen because TRUE enthusiasts of a breed will not let the presence or absence of a tail dictate their passion.

It is now up to breeders to breed for tails, just as they have been doing in traditionally docked breeds on the continent for YEARS (for breeds such as Rotts where the presence or absence of a tail has no bearing on their "work")
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
There are some people who have stopped breeding and even judging because of the tail docking rule, however, the predicted plummet did not happen because TRUE enthusiasts of a breed will not let the presence or absence of a tail dictate their passion.

It is now up to breeders to breed for tails, just as they have been doing in traditionally docked breeds on the continent for YEARS (for breeds such as Rotts where the presence or absence of a tail has no bearing on their "work")
I was very surprised that the people would 'give up' on their chosen breed for the sake of a tail.
I am glad it has not affected things too much.

I groom a Sealyham for one lady (she is quite elderly now) and she said she is pleased she is no longer breeding due to the tails being left on.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Thats what I think as well smokeybear - e.g if they don't like curly tails on rotties then they should breed for straighter tails - same goes for whatever they don't like about the tails of other breeds.

I was very surprised that the people would 'give up' on their chosen breed for the sake of a tail.
I am glad it has not affected things too much.

I groom a Sealyham for one lady (she is quite elderly now) and she said she is pleased she is no longer breeding due to the tails being left on.
Probably better she has finished then if she is unwilling to adapt and accept her breed with the tail is was born with.
Page 26 of 29 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >