View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 07:58 AM
My old boy has had two major vestibular disease attacks in the last couple of years- he's 15 now.

We know we are on borrowed time with him, more because of problems connected with HD and arthritis than the vestibular episodes. The first vestibular episode seemed to go on forever and left a head tilt (which still appears when he's tired), the second was over quite quickly.

However, there is a difference between vestibular episodes and strokes although both can appear very similar with strokes being far less common
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Glad to hear he is feeling a little better.......fingers crossed that his improvement come on in leaps and bounds xxxxxxx
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Very sorry to hear about your dog, and I know how worrying it must be.

Our last dog but one had a stroke at about the same age as yours, and eventually fully recovered and went on to live happily for another three years. He then suffered a catastrophic stroke.

Those three years between the two strokes were a wonderful bonus which we enjoyed to the full, and I do hope that you have the same experience.
Jack was the same. He had a stroke in the morning, rushed him to the vets, they gave him a steroid injection and said to put him in a quiet, dark room and see if he comes round. I laid him on our bed with the curtains shut and went in the next room ironing. An hour later, I heard him get up and shake, went in and he was stood on the bed wagging his tailk and acting normal. I couldn't believe it! Took him to the vets the next day, who gave him another steroid injection and antibiotics in case it was an infection that caused it and they couldn't believe the difference in him from the day before.

He was great for another 2 1/2 years, until he reached almost 15 and had another stroke which we knew by looking at him, he wasn't going to come out of.

But like Bitkin said, the years inbetween, we were so grateful for and he lived like a king!
Glitter
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Well Meg seems better today.
She wanted to play with her toy with me this evening and be stroked and made a fuss of and she was up on the armchair that is hers!
(well she will let you sit on a teeny tiny corner of it)
She actually wanted to go out for a walk this evening (my dad takes them in the car to the forestry for a run about) He said she didn't walk far just stayed near the car - but thats better than she has done.

We are still taking it day by day though...I guess every little bit of improvement each day is good. She is still tired first and last thing of the day...but she is an old girl now!

I just have to keep reminding myself that she's not doing too bad for a dog that we got from the RSPCA - she was from an abandoned litter of pups and she was the runt. She was teeny tiny when we had her and her sister (we had to have her sister Molly put to sleep 6 years ago).

Anyway apologies have rambled on....all in all a better day for Meg. Hope tomorrow is a good one for her too

thanks again for the messages. xx
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 12:22 AM
so pleased to hear Meg's doing better, it sounds like she's over the worst, please keep us updated on how she is, we have everything crossed for you that she'll have no further problems xxx
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Pleased to hear she is doing well. I have had 3 experiences of strokes.

13 year old springer who was fine but did have a head tilt. She was pts for different reasons.

15 year old pointer who was fine after the first one and again pts for different reasons.

13 year old springer who had a really big one and we made the decision to pts but only because her back leg was giving way (she had the other one amputated when she was 7).

As others have said it really does depend on the seriousness of it but it sounds like Meg is making a really good recovery

Helen
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 10:36 AM
So glad she is improving xxxx positive vibes being sent your way xxx
Universalsmashe
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2011, 03:37 AM
No, I have not had an experience like that.

But I know my mum has. She had a chocolate black Labrador who had a seizure at 12. She was fine until she was 15 and then started to have strokes. She took her to the vet and they waited two months. She didn't get better. She was an old dog so her immune system and everything wasn't great.

They put her on a treatment for a few days which didn't work. The dog entered a 2-week coma and caught a Brain Tumour and lung cancer. The treatment would mess with what made the dog...well, him. It would make him sluggish, and stubborn, he would not want to go for walks.

So my mum, with her family, took her down to the vets a few weeks after it was discovered that the dog had cancer in two places, and had it put down. They didn't get over it until a few months later. That was their longest lasting dog.

But to be honest, it all depends on the ability and strength of the immune system. If you're dog is fed well and walked regularly she will make a fine recovery. Let's not think about the negative reasons for duplicating that worry by a ton more.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Nothing to add to the comments already made, just wanted to send some healing vibes for your "oldie" for a full and complete recovery.....

x0x
Glitter
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2011, 05:46 PM
aw bless @ Universalsmashe

Well Meggy has been back to the vets, she had another injection and thats it. They were really pleased with her progress and doesn't have to have anything else.

She is walking much better now - nearly normal - she is having the odd slight stumble now and again - but she is a million times better than she was...

thanks again for all the support and wishes x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >