Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bobbydog
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Hi - Just lost our dog :-( (pts)

Hi

Thought I'd join as I've just lost my beloved Westie "Bobby" yesterday ... we made the awful decision to put him to sleep after the vet finally diagnosed malignant polyps, Bobby was 13.5 years old and the only 'cure' was to have a huge operation to remove part of his bowel ... after that we were told that may not last very long as the cancer would probably return. We made the decision to let him go as I didn't want him to suffer.

Since then I've been a gibbering wreck on the one hand knowing I've done the right thing, but also regretting my decision as I miss him so much. After 13.5 years he was like my own child, and he's been a wonderful friend to me.

If anyone else has been through anything like this, I'd love to know how to stop feeling so guilty.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2008, 09:07 PM
i feel for you bobbydog. ive never had to make that decision although i lost my 2 yr old border terrier 5 months ago to pyrametra. you shouldnt feel guilty but i know you will time is a great healer best wishes
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi so very sorry for your loss.

Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi bobbydog, welcome to Dogsey.

I am sorry you are suffering the loss of your wonderful friend. Many members here have also suffered a loss at sometime, and when I joined after loosing my boy, they were a tower of strength for me - I hope you find it the same x
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey,

That is the only downside to those wonderful dogs we love, that they are not on this earth as long as we'd like them to be.
The bravest, and most kindly thing we can do for them is to do our best to make sure when it is their time to go, that they have peace with as little pain as possible.
You did that for your Bobby.
He was a very lucky dog to have such a kind, caring owner who loved him. So many dogs never know that.

So yes, you'll grieve that he's not there physically. But those happy memories will always be.... and eventually they will ease the pain of your loss and bring a smile to your face when you remember him.

Thinking of everyone who has lost a doggy friend and feeling priviledged to have known the wonderful dogs I have lost.

*big hugs*

Becky

P.S Even after saying all that I know I'll be a jibbering wreck too if anything happened to my Tonts.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Hi and welcome to Dogsey,

That is the only downside to those wonderful dogs we love, that they are not on this earth as long as we'd like them to be.
The bravest, and most kindly thing we can do for them is to do our best to make sure when it is their time to go, that they have peace with as little pain as possible.
You did that for your Bobby.
He was a very lucky dog to have such a kind, caring owner who loved him. So many dogs never know that.

So yes, you'll grieve that he's not there physically. But those happy memories will always be.... and eventually they will ease the pain of your loss and bring a smile to your face when you remember him.

Thinking of everyone who has lost a doggy friend and feeling priviledged to have known the wonderful dogs I have lost.

*big hugs*

Becky

P.S Even after saying all that I know I'll be a jibbering wreck too if anything happened to my Tonts.
A lovely post x

Welcome to Dogsey and (((hugs))) to you.
As a wise person on this site said, better a day too early than a day too late.

Take care x
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Awwww I'm so sorry to hear this,you made the right decision.You put your own feelings aside and did what was right for him,that in itself speaks volumes.Time is a great healer,though you wont ever forget him.
I always say we are kind to our animals but when the time comes when they need us most we have to be even more kinder to them by making these decisions for them.Huge hugs from me,xxxxxxxxxxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by bobbydog View Post
Hi

Thought I'd join as I've just lost my beloved Westie "Bobby" yesterday ... we made the awful decision to put him to sleep after the vet finally diagnosed malignant polyps, Bobby was 13.5 years old and the only 'cure' was to have a huge operation to remove part of his bowel ... after that we were told that may not last very long as the cancer would probably return. We made the decision to let him go as I didn't want him to suffer.

Since then I've been a gibbering wreck on the one hand knowing I've done the right thing, but also regretting my decision as I miss him so much. After 13.5 years he was like my own child, and he's been a wonderful friend to me.

If anyone else has been through anything like this, I'd love to know how to stop feeling so guilty.
So sorry to hear this. It's always difficult and feelings of guilt are understandable.

I'm sure there's many folk on here that have been through this (I know I have several times) but at the end of the day - I always tell myself that I know my dog / cat better than anybody and if that's what I thought - then I was probably correct to do so.

Run free

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Hello Bobbydog
A warm welcome to Dogsey,

We are delighted to have you with us.
I would say most of us here have been through a similar experience too yourself and lost a much loved dog, so we are able to empathise with your feelings of loss and sadness . You are among friends here xxxx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >