View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:35 AM

kongs (which would be best for a Labrador?)

hi

not sure if this is right section and im sure someone has probably posted thsi before so i would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

in my post about my noisy doggie someone suggested kongs. i read up a bit on them and think they are like toys but there were lots of types and im nto sure what owuld be best for harvey the lab. what exactly are they and where would be the cheapest place to get them?

tahnks in advance
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Hi rjh090384. Kongs are not really toys, they are specially designed to hold lots of goodies (treats, food etc) in them and make the dog push it around in order to get those treats out. However there are a range of kong 'toys' now available on the rope and stuff. But for your post I think people meant the original Kong.

We picked Roxys up from PAH think its was £4.99. There is a leaflet you can read on the side that tells you what size you should get per breed. Roxy still has a puppy Kong but will shortly being going up to an adult one, large breed size!
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
hi kongs are great and every dog should have one!! i would get her a large red one for stuffing and because she is a lab and we all know labs love carrying things and water i would get her a large cool kong for taking out on walks and training!!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I agree with the above comment. Not having a KONG should be considered an act of cruelty.

I would imagine a Lab would be happy with the red one. (KONG Classic?) They are bouncier when used in play, and are softer so bounce more like a ball. The KONG Xtreme (The one my GSD loves) is much harder. She's had it a while now and still not a tooth mark to be seen in it! When thrown, the Xtreme bounces in a very unpredictable manner, giving that bit more fun for the dog, I think.

You just can't go wrong with a KONG! I fill mine with cheese cubes once a week and love watching her figure out how to get them out. She knows she has to turn it, as each time she does, she sniffs the ground to see if a cube fell out. She just can't figure the precise way to turn it.
muttsrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2006, 07:50 PM
had a black Kong and then Dexter the bull terrier came along and within mins it was in shreds, it had survived two litters of gsd, and a rottie pup but it is the best thing i have ever bought for them we have another one now and he is not allowed near it they only play with it when he is out or at a show with me
carol
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:16 AM
thanks for your help!!!