Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Supermarket self-service tills

Is it me or does anyone else have problems with these?

Every time I use one something goes wrong! Today it wouldn't accept my crisps and the man came and took my crisps, went out the back and came back and said "They haven't been logged on the system yet so I shouldn't be doing this but I will log it on" (?) I said "should they be out on display if you aren't supposed to buy them?" but not in a nasty way but smiley!

Last time I used them it didn't give me the right change and the man had to come along, open the machine and hit it to get the other 20p.

Before that I got sworn at in Tescos by someone behind me in the queue as they thought I was taking too long. Not nice!

Ususally I get the "Unexpected item in bagging area" snotty-sounding voice eminating from the machine which makes you feel like you have a bomb or a knife or something illicit!

Seems like this is the way things are going now though as our Sainsbury's was extended and half the checkouts replaced by self-service ones.

Anyone else had any problems with them or do you like them?
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:43 PM
If I'm only buying one item I like them!! but anything more & it feels like it takes allot longer. also a pain in the Ass if you are shopping with kids who just must lean on things etc!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I do use them but I always have some problem with them. It's usually "unexpected item in baggage area"!! Even when I've moved the bag right to the end! I bought my Dad a bottle of whisky last year and the assistant made me show her my ID!!!!!! I was 41 at the time!!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I get the same problems
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Me too .and when a staff member comes to help they have problems aswell!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:13 PM
My cousin worked in Morrisons & said the self service tills was the Job no-one wanted to do!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:20 PM
hmmm im pretty sure the automatic tills in our asda suffers from PMT bigtime . and i must admit i have argued with the said till. much to the amusement of the assistant and other shoppers lol
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:31 PM
What I find really confuses them is when you bring your own bags. Even when you select the option of 'Using own bags?' it throws a wobbler. Previously in sainsburys we had a self scan till and conveyor belt, that was great, it accepted your own bags no problem but with the smaller ones, every time you start a new bag - even when it has weighed the empty bags initially - it gives a message such as 'Please wait while the attendant verifies your bags'. I know they have to make sure that you aren't putting stuff in the bags without paying for things but their scales are a little too sensitive for my liking!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I bought my Dad a bottle of whisky last year and the assistant made me show her my ID!!!!!! I was 41 at the time!!
You are obviously a very youthful looking lady Zoe!x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Hate, hate, hate the bloody things........

I feel under immense pressure to do everything "right", and even when I do, something goes wrong.

I avoid them like the plague now - I'd rather queue!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »