View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Border Terriers generally get on well with other dogs, and often develop strong friendships with dogs they meet frequently. However, if they dislike another dog, they do not hesitate to start a fight and, as with most terriers, it can be difficult to stop them. A squirt from a water gun can be an effective way to end a fight. Border Terriers must be trained carefully from the beginning to learn proper social behaviour with other dogs, especially larger dogs.

http://caninecoalition.com/dog-breeds/Border-Terrier
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Do you have difficulty stopping your Border Terrier if it fights.
I have to say....a few dogs have had a go at mine in the past and mine, at points have been ready to retaliate...no, I have never had a problem calling my dogs off....including when my own 2 were going at it big style in the house...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 04:35 PM
would also like to add, that none of my comments are meant as a criticism of any dog or any breed, just observations about their original breeding purpose. My BC likes to herd and stalk....I'd be worried if he didn't....
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 05:26 PM
My Welsh Terrier would fight to the death for a food spill.
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
would also like to add, that none of my comments are meant as a criticism of any dog or any breed, just observations about their original breeding purpose. My BC likes to herd and stalk....I'd be worried if he didn't....
Would it be difficult to train a BC not to herd, I think not.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Do you have difficulty stopping your Border Terrier if it fights.
Couldnt tell you, none of mine have ever had a fight!

Would it be difficult to train a BC not to herd, I think not.
I love to see you try that!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I really wish people would get the idea out of their heads that ANY dog was ORIGINALLY BRED FOR FIGHTING, some dogs were ADAPTED and USED for fighting eg the pitbull but look in your history books people, alot if not most of these dogs were starved, drugged and beaten into fighting.

Cant remember who originally posted this link but it had me sobbing http://gprime.net/flash.php/thepitbullproblem

Contains graphic images but you NEED to watch it!!!!
HEAR HEAR,i cant believe this is even a disscussion ,ok so ur mates dogs fought to 'the death' but i dont think this had nething to do with the breed
i have a 'fighting breed',my 2yr old little boy sleeps in her basket with her,my 4yr old feeds her
i think you should think how you word things as you could upset alot of people
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Border Terriers generally get on well with other dogs, and often develop strong friendships with dogs they meet frequently. However, if they dislike another dog, they do not hesitate to start a fight and, as with most terriers, it can be difficult to stop them. A squirt from a water gun can be an effective way to end a fight. Border Terriers must be trained carefully from the beginning to learn proper social behaviour with other dogs, especially larger dogs.

http://caninecoalition.com/dog-breeds/Border-Terrier
Thats interesting a US site! You must remember these dogs were bred to work alongside Foxhounds, how long do you think they would last if they caused trouble? Oh, and they dont do that in the states so have been produced only for pets/show animals 99% of the time!:smt002
I have no problem discussing my breed if you want to, its my favourite subject but this is about Am satffs, yes?
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 07:47 PM
oh god, a fighting breed killed another dog, ffs its apart of thier breed history! maybe do not mix them with dogs, or let it get to the point where they kill another dog, he should have been aware of this and kept more a close eye on them! But to say do not mix them with children is silly, these dog where bred to fight and that does not mean they are human aggressive!!!!!!!! they are well known for their love of humans and child

I say don't mix dogs with people who know nothing about their breed history and cannot control them!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by bebe View Post
Im a bit fed up of people lumping "dog aggression" and "Human aggression" together, just because a dog may be aggressive to other dogs (and ANY breed can be like this) doesnt follow that they shouldnt be around children. Posts like that only inflame the current bullbreed hysteria, and if you were as knowledgeble about dogs as you say you are, you,d know that a dog-to-dog fight doesnt mean the dog is a danger to kids. Ive got 2 dogs, one is very dog aggressive , but, as most Staffys are, is brilliant with people, especially kids.
oh thank god at last, this is what im trying to say on many posts on this forum! LOL
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »