Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Frightening Walk

I was walking Ivan this evening and hadn't gotten far from home when he spotted a little terrier cross being walked on ahead of us. Well he was on his harness and lead but still trying to pull like a steam train. This is the only time he really pulls and walk perfectly to heal any other time - OK stop gushing and get back on topic. Well he was getting himself rather worked up so I just stopped to give the other dog time to walk on. With that Ivan lunged but because of his harness just got pulled back and landed completely on his side It frightened the life out of me and worse still he wouldn't put any weight on his back leg on the side he came down on. I bent down to assess him and luckily after a few minutes he was walking fine on it so I just turned around and went back home. I'm keeping an eye on him but he seems totally fine thank god. I am taking him to ringcraft tomorrow night. Hopefully with a little more exposure to some other dogs he will calm down. What do you all reckon?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh nooooooooo, poor Ivan falling like that, I hope he doesn't suffer for it tomorrow? It's the sort of thing they an shrug off for a while, but the problem will be (if any) when he sleeps tonight, he might stiffen up if he's hurt some muscles. Mind you, youngsters are very pliable aren't they, so he should be ok.

You must have felt awful seeing him do that! I can't help you at all with the lungeing problem, he's obviously just young and boistrous and eager to greet other dogs, so the training class is going to help you with all that.

Awwww, hope you're not too upset over all this, it would have shocked me a bit I can tell you, but he's ok so hopefully now worries there. You'll be able to find an answer to his problem when you start the classes I'm sure about that.

Please give the adorable Ivan a special Aunti H hug, not too hard mind, in case he does hurt a little bit. Try not to worry too much, these things happen with all puppies, no matter how big they are.

I do find it a bit strange though, because I thought these dogs were very calm and docile? I know he's young, but even so, they're pretty laid back aren't they? So sorry you're going through this, all the best.xx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh H you can imagine, I was beside myself, my little boy. I didn't know what to do for the best. I just sat on the ground in the middle of the street hugging him. But he is fine now.

Leo's are calm and bomb proof is a commonly used expression to describe their characters but they do have their mad moments especially puppies. The only time he gets excited is if he sees other dogs or children. He just has to say hello. I'll give him an extra big Auntie H hug along with all the others, bless him.

I wanted to run straight to the vet and have x-rays done, but then I thought, calm down Nic and wait and see. It just frightened me more than anything else, it wasn't really as bad as all that now that I think about it

Regarding the ringcraft classes I was just wondering if anyone else had a puppy like this who was still able to concentrate in ringcraft and didn't put anyone else off. He has been to puppy training class and was excitable at first but then calmed down but everyone else was at the same stage too. Sorry to have gone on for so long
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 09:30 PM
if hes walking on it ok wait and see, hes not huge so his joints should be ok.
if he had done any damage your'ld know.
i don't know how you feel about headleads but i used them with mine for control and takes away the risk at the same time.
but its normal for a leo to try and get to other dogs esp at his age, the more he has is great but he has to learn there is ways of approaching others when on the lead.
i simply made it that if they pulled they didn't meet, if they walked by my side the reward was mixing with the dog.
plus some dogs are scared of them due to size and will nip at him which you don't want to happen.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:31 PM
aww poor boy i hate it when my dogs fall or hurt themselves, so it must been horrid for you!

Hope he will be ok, im sure he will but as your doing keep a eye on him!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Hi Nic Can appreciate how you feel but do try to calm down. He is only a puppy and I know how much you love him and it is natural for you to worry but if you do it too much it will go down the lead to Ivan and will not help him when he is at Ringcraft. My advice to you and I hope you don't think I'm being cruel is puppies are a bit like kids they will fall and cry at the time but pick themselves uo and get on with things. I think and I mean this in the nicest possible way you are being like an over protective mum and I can well understand why with such a beautiful baby, like Ivan. Go to the ringcraft and relax and I am sure Ivan will also relax and take everything in his stride. Comforting gentle hugs to him and to you for your ordeal and good luck at the Ring craft. Eunice
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Shunka jumped up once high off the ground to catch an Air Kong and also landed on his side, he cried out in pain and we were really worried. He seemed to limp for a few moments after and was then fine, I am sure Ivan will be fine too ( I imagine he is if he isn't showing any signs of pain). Goodluck though I am sure he doesn't need it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Just wondering how little Ivan is today after his fall yesterday? I'm hoping he's back to his usual gorgeous self??? Hope you are too!!!

I was up on the green this morning, a woman with a collie was throwing the frisbie for it, and the poor dog in it's manic attempt to get the frisbie, fell on it's side and skidded. It then got up and held it's front paw out and just sat there!!! I felt awful as I was quite a way away chatting to a man I know with a black lab who Georgie was trying to mount at the time!Tcht!! Anyway, the woman casually strolled over to the dog who was still just sitting there with it's front paw held straight out in front of him, I thought he had broken it!!! A couple of minutes later as I made my way over there, the dog was fine!!!! I started to talk to her, saying I thought she might have needed me and my car to get her dog to the vet, but she said he's always doing that, he's got a problem with the leg and she has to put it back in!!!! She thanked me very much for being such a caring animal lover!!! Awwwww, that was nice Happy ending.

You see Nic, dogs are tough as old boots, especially puppies! Sometimes I suspect they're made of rubber!!! Hope he's fine today, I'm sure he is
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. He is totally fine today little sausage. I just brought him on a shorter gentle little stroll today just in case. We were followed by a gorgeous little cross breed. Ivan started to get over excited and I held his collar and made him sit and calm down. Once he had calmed down I let him say hello and they played for ages. It was lovely to see. Then I put Ivan back into the car and had to stop the little dog from jumping in with him! He then barked at me when I had closed the door bless him. I had taken his new friend away lol
Didn't get to ringcraft after all tonight. Hubby had to work and couldn't take care of the kids. Oh well will get their next week.
Eunice you are totally right I am being an overprotective mum and have to calm down. All advice very very welcome. Thanks again you lot xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2007, 09:57 PM
there is nothing wrong with being safe, glad hes made a friend.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >