Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Suggestions please

At present i have three dogs, 2 bitches, 1 male.
The male walks fine on lead when its just me & him, when we see another dog he will try to look but a couple of corrections makes him focus back on me and the walk and its not a problem. When i walk all three together he gets far too focused on other dogs and if the other dog looks at him he will bark, lunge ect.
Now i understand he's most likely just in pack mentality and looking out for the girls but its difficult to get him back focused when in this situation.
At present i walk him seperately and if we have to continue with this then its not a big problem for me but it would be nice to walk all three together. I called a local trainer and he said he would charge me £300 to fix this problem, i'm thinking wow how difficult can it be? £300 is a lot of money. Surely the trainer is not the only alternative? Any suggestions of what else i can try?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:27 AM
OMG, I am having the same problem with Poppy, although she focuses on my other dog when out with the two of them. On her own she is just like your dog.
Check out the posts that people have put up on my thread
Hope it helps you
Elaine x
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Elaine
I had a quick look at your post but will go and read all of it after this, just wanted to say Kai has no interest in cars, bikes, people just casually strolls by them, nor has he ever nipped anyone. It is only other dogs and only when in the pack situation so hopefully there will be something specific to that in your thread, i'll go look, thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:52 AM
It might be a good idea to have someone experienced with multiple dog households to just come along and observe a walk. Often outsiders can spot causes / triggers / ways to help when you are so engaged in the situation that you miss it.
I personally wouldn`t use anyone who promised they could solve a problem without first seeing the dog!
This may not be a `pack` problem - it could be nervousness. It could also be caused by a stressed dog feeling it`s his `job` to protect your space. I assume he`s neutered, so I doubt he`s protecting the bitches.
I find the more dogs I walk, the more excited Daisy will get and I have to work hard getting her back deferring to me. She seems to think we`re all going off on a hunting trip. However, what I find works is to slow the whole thing down and totally refuse to go forward if she`s pulling. When she`s calm we go on. I know this isn`t your problem - it`s just that sometimes not doing what the dog wants works. So maybe you could work on having the dog sit quietly beside other dogs?
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Just to update, i read Elaine's thread (hugs to Elaine)
I have tried yummy treats (shows no interest) toys (shows no interest) I have not tried the bottle with coins or stones in so could give that a go today, seems a shame on the girls tho as they will all be one side of me so i have a hand free to get the bottle out of my pocket, wont the girls feel they are being corrected too when they have done nothing wrong?
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It might be a good idea to have someone experienced with multiple dog households to just come along and observe a walk. Often outsiders can spot causes / triggers / ways to help when you are so engaged in the situation that you miss it.

Unfortunately i dont know anybody with more than two dogs but i do know what the trigger is - its seeing another dog.

I personally wouldn`t use anyone who promised they could solve a problem without first seeing the dog!
This may not be a `pack` problem - it could be nervousness.

It could be, what would be my best approach if it is that?

It could also be caused by a stressed dog feeling it`s his `job` to protect your space. I assume he`s neutered, so I doubt he`s protecting the bitches.

If it were stress would he not be the same when out alone with me?

I find the more dogs I walk, the more excited Daisy will get and I have to work hard getting her back deferring to me. She seems to think we`re all going off on a hunting trip. However, what I find works is to slow the whole thing down and totally refuse to go forward if she`s pulling.
When she`s calm we go on. I know this isn`t your problem - it`s just that sometimes not doing what the dog wants works. So maybe you could work on having the dog sit quietly beside other dogs?
Trying to get him to sit beside other dogs would require me to get some other dogs/owners to participate, i will ask around but dont hold out much hope Claire, you know how it is, who's going to let a barking lunging dog have a go at theirs until it calms down? Pity you did not live up here

Hi Claire & Daisy, thank you.
I highlighted area's in your answer to make it easier for me to reply
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
Just to update, i read Elaine's thread (hugs to Elaine)
I have tried yummy treats (shows no interest) toys (shows no interest) I have not tried the bottle with coins or stones in so could give that a go today,
Please don't

He could start to associate approaching dogs with being punished which might make him react worse. It's best to find the root of the problem and try to change his emotional reaction. For instance you may be able to work on the fact he is better on his own and with a behavioural help build up on that, then when he is "excellent" add one other dog, then build up on that, then when he is again "excellent" add the third... just one idea of many that could work but I suspect you'd need help. You could try
http://www.apdt.co.uk/
or
http://www.apbc.org.uk/ but do talk to the people first as individuals vary even within organisations

seems a shame on the girls tho as they will all be one side of me so i have a hand free to get the bottle out of my pocket, wont the girls feel they are being corrected too when they have done nothing wrong?
Yes, they will - and will start to see you as unpredictable perhaps.... not good...

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
At present i have three dogs, 2 bitches, 1 male.
The male walks fine on lead when its just me & him, when we see another dog he will try to look but a couple of corrections makes him focus back on me and the walk and its not a problem. When i walk all three together he gets far too focused on other dogs and if the other dog looks at him he will bark, lunge ect.
Now i understand he's most likely just in pack mentality and looking out for the girls but its difficult to get him back focused when in this situation.
At present i walk him seperately and if we have to continue with this then its not a big problem for me but it would be nice to walk all three together. I called a local trainer and he said he would charge me £300 to fix this problem, i'm thinking wow how difficult can it be? £300 is a lot of money. Surely the trainer is not the only alternative? Any suggestions of what else i can try?
When out with just him you say you correct him for looking at other dogs
Is he showing any agression or just looking at this stage?? I wouldnt correct at all here, I would reward the dog for just looking and being calm

When out with the girls how do they react?? I would keep an eye on both of them to see if they are doing anything to set the boy off - hard stairing at the new dogs or anything

Yes at the point he is parking and lunging it is unlikley that anything will get his focus, you have to get him before he reacts
Teach him an alternative behaviour, like a sit or a look at you and then when you see another dog - before he reacts - get him to do this behaviour and then keep his focus on you and reward reward, for the 1st few days with Mia I was just totaly stuffing treats down her face, then I waited between treats and made her focus on me for longer before being rewarded

If you cant afford a behaviourist (that is really expensive!!)then how about a class? get him used to working when there are other dogs there and focusing on you

I would walk him on his own for a while so you can watch him and figure out what is going on and then possible take him out with just one of the girls - so you have less to worry about

Totaly agree that any form of punishment is unlikely to help at all - and could actually make things worse and so not fair on the girls
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks, some good advice there. I will continue with the walking seperately and keep you posted how he gets on.
Just a quick add - the girls dont set other dogs or him off, they look at him like he's a nutter