Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Animalcrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2008, 04:54 PM

New to showing

I am thinking of getting a Tibetan Spaniel, but I've never shown before, any help? For example: what kind of lead do I use? How do they stand? Should I use treats? Does the dog have to walk on a certain side of me? Any information is very much welcome.

Thank you,
Kyle.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
I would suggest that you find a breeder who successfully shows already and express interest in showing and they will guide you - showing has subtle differences between breeds.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree with Muddiwarx, but I would just add that all breeds are shown on your left. Good luck and do a lot of research and find a really good breeder, who can help you and do keep us posted.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi, I'm also new to all this and went to my first ringcraft class last Thursday. It was very informative and I'll certainly have a head start when new pup arrives. Try to find a class in your area and check it out before you get your dog - just in case you don't like it and have to find somewhere else!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:57 AM
If you are buying with the intention of showing make sure you go to a breeder who has produced dogs who have already doen well in the ring.Also make sure you tell them you want to show
Animalcrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 05:33 PM
thanks everyone. I'll check out some nearby shows. I'll try and look up a breeder who can help me too.

Thank you,
Kyle.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Good luck Kyle, and enjoy!!
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2008, 10:38 AM
It may a good idea to go to some shows and talk to peaple in the breed and you can also watch how they are shown. Most peaple will be happy to advise you on which breeders to go and how to show etc, good look.
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2008, 09:05 PM
you need to find a ringcraft club and people will help you with any thing you need to know,then companion shows are great training grounds for you and your dog ,where in suffolk do you live if its any where near lowestoft i can tell you where the clubs are ros
Animalcrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 08:23 PM
thanks for all the comments and advice. we are attending a ringcraft club on monday nights picking up tips and practicing with my parents papillon. you can never practice too much. we're off to a show tomorrow with my daughter and her flat coat and will be watching the tibetan spaniel ring too. we should have been taking the papillon but the kennel club are so slow in replying and we need permission to show him as he had an op.