Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mackintoshe
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2006, 02:02 PM

chewing, over eating plus other problems

I have a 7 week old border collie, already she is learning to go out in the garden to wee and poo, in most things she is very good but there are a couple of areas that I am concerned about
1, she likes to lick her bottom
2, she is always hoovering the floor for food, even though there is nothing there for her, although she doesn’t scrounge at the table when we are eating
3, she bites quite hard and doesn’t seem to understand that it hurts even though I make ouch noises and look her in the eye.
4, she seems to want to chew everything, she has plenty of play toys and we are always saying no and replacing a banned item with one of her own

Any suggesting, I want to take her to a behaviourist but she is too young to go out at present.

I look forward to any comments
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 02:12 PM
In my opinion thats just normal puppy behaviour and she is only 7 weeks old after all and a lot of pups don't even leave their mothers till 8 weeks at least. I wouldn't bother getting a behavourist for a 7 week old pup or even consider one for a long time yet, she will probably grow out of all these things you mention in a few months time anyway As for the licking - what about a vets check up to make sure she hasn't got any infections or anything and get advise on how and when to worm her
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 02:16 PM
i totally agree with what foxy has said your pup is only 7weeks old its time when they are been pups its just a natural thing for them to do when they are this age my two are now 17mths and they still chew and nore on things give it time and your pup will soon understand no means no
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 04:58 PM
my friend had a puppy that kept biting, she would hold the puppies mouth closed for a few seconds, to let the puppy know that its bad to bite, as the puppy doesnt like its mouth held shut..she had to do this repeatidly for a while, the puppy stopped doing it.
does she have rawhide bones to chew on?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Agree this puppy is just being a puppy and most of that age would still be in the nest. Are you feeding 4 times a day and what are you feeding? As to the bitting try pulling your hand away and make a yelping sound, that is what the siblings would do and the pup will soon learn that if it bites play stops. Time for other methods when the pup is a good deal older and understands what you want, start with basic training and use reward when the pup gets it right and ignore when it makes mistakes.

Forgot the bottom licking, has the pup been wormed and checked by the vet, if not deal with that asap.
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2006, 11:10 PM
i can not really understand how a puppy can learn not to bite by having it's mouth held closed
a short sharp yelp from the person it is chewing should be quite sufficient for the pup to know it has done something wrong
while playing with it's mum a pup learns if it becoming too boisterous by the sounds/warnings it's mother makes
to me a pup having it's mouth held shut will just be scared
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by mackintoshe
I have a 7 week old border collie, already she is learning to go out in the garden to wee and poo, in most things she is very good but there are a couple of areas that I am concerned about
1, she likes to lick her bottom
2, she is always hoovering the floor for food, even though there is nothing there for her, although she doesn’t scrounge at the table when we are eating
3, she bites quite hard and doesn’t seem to understand that it hurts even though I make ouch noises and look her in the eye.
4, she seems to want to chew everything, she has plenty of play toys and we are always saying no and replacing a banned item with one of her own

Any suggesting, I want to take her to a behaviourist but she is too young to go out at present.

I look forward to any comments
Hi mackintoshe have you had a dog before?
..All dogs lick themselves, it is how they keep clean, if they didn't they would smell.
..All dogs serch for food, they are after all scavengers so again this is normal.
..All puppies should be encouraged to 'play bite' so that they can be taught never to bite humans. Puppies have no strength in their jaws to exert pressure, while this is the case they should be trained to modify their bite so that when they grow up they will not bite. It has been found that dogs who are prevented from play biting are more likely to go on to develop behaviour problems. So the best thing to do is to teach bite inhibition , to do this you allow the puppy to bite during play and has been said above remove your hand/say ouch to show the puppy you are hurt/no playing if he bites hard. After a couple of moments let the game continue. Gradually over a period of time decrease the amount of pressure allowed until the puppy develops a 'soft mouth' and no longer exerts any pressure at all.
..Yes puppies chew everything, they don't know the difference between a prized possession and a toy,they chew when teething, bored and because chewing is a pleasurable experience for them . You have to teach them what they can and can't chew by substituting one thing for another.
I certainly don't think a puppy of 7 weeks needs a behaviourist ...when it is vaccinated a training class might help and some good dog books like '' Jean Donaldsons 'The culture clash' which will help you to understand and train your puppy
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Couldn't agree more with most of what's already been said! May be worth taking the pup to the vet if the bottom licking is excessive and making sure you are feeding the right amount the right number of times. Even if you are the pup will still hoover the floor for you!!!!
Sounds like you've got a lovely pup who is just displaying normal behaviours for a pup of his age! We've got my son trained to put a toy in the puppie's mouths when they start to playbite excessively and play a different sort of game with them! When my son hears us 'yelp' he immediately runs off to get a toy to 'save' us! May be worth a try, distractions are always good!!!
Enjoy this fun age, it doesn't last long!
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2006, 09:00 AM
well i didnt say it was the way to go with the pup, my friend did it to her pup and it worked. i was just saying what she had done. i couldnt exactly tell her how to raise her own dog. eveyone has their own ways of doing things, depending on their lifestyle. all we can do is give advise...that doesnt mean you have to take someones advise either. its all up to the owner, what they think is best.