Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2017, 10:19 PM

My 3rd Embark DNA test results

I got Griz's results back today, took about 2 weeks. I dropped another kit in the mail todaym so I will post those results when I get them. Was also planning to do Wisdom Panel, was going to do that today, but didn't get it done.

Here are a couple photos

Breed came back 100% American Pit Bull Terrier
Here is the shareable link https://embarkvet.com/dog/griz2

Predicted adult weight 52lbs!!!! She's almost full grown and under 31lbs. I understand how / why the results may not always be accurate. Size is polygenic and they can only go off the known genes which they test for.

For advanced results
E locus - She is Em/Em homozygous for mask, not too surprising. I know she has one, her mom is brindle with black mask, her dad is black so not possible to tell.

K Locus - ky/ky which is obvious she's not black or brindle

A Locus - Ay/at could tell by her coat she's carrying tan point as she has black overlay and widows peak

Doesn't carry dilute, as I expected.

Carries liver, which I knew was possible, but wasn't real sure. The litter her mother was born in were all black nose, from black nose parents (Griz's grand parents), but her great grandsire (actually double bred great grand sire) is black & white but carries red nose, so apparently he passed the gene to one of his children and not the other so when bred together resulted in black nose dogs with the carrier passing it to Griz mom and so forth.

Out of 5 genes tested for body size, one was heterozygous for smaller size, the rest were homozygous for larger size - which explains why they would give a result of 52lbs.

She has high diversity for MHC genes

Her pedigree calculated 20 generation COI is 12.6% (her sires is 6% and dams 31.6%), her Embark genetic calculated COI is 8%
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bulldogs4Life View Post
I got Griz's results back today, took about 2 weeks. I dropped another kit in the mail todaym so I will post those results when I get them. Was also planning to do Wisdom Panel, was going to do that today, but didn't get it done.

Here are a couple photos

Breed came back 100% American Pit Bull Terrier
Here is the shareable link https://embarkvet.com/dog/griz2

Predicted adult weight 52lbs!!!! She's almost full grown and under 31lbs. I understand how / why the results may not always be accurate. Size is polygenic and they can only go off the known genes which they test for.

For advanced results
E locus - She is Em/Em homozygous for mask, not too surprising. I know she has one, her mom is brindle with black mask, her dad is black so not possible to tell.

K Locus - ky/ky which is obvious she's not black or brindle

A Locus - Ay/at could tell by her coat she's carrying tan point as she has black overlay and widows peak

Doesn't carry dilute, as I expected.

Carries liver, which I knew was possible, but wasn't real sure. The litter her mother was born in were all black nose, from black nose parents (Griz's grand parents), but her great grandsire (actually double bred great grand sire) is black & white but carries red nose, so apparently he passed the gene to one of his children and not the other so when bred together resulted in black nose dogs with the carrier passing it to Griz mom and so forth.

Out of 5 genes tested for body size, one was heterozygous for smaller size, the rest were homozygous for larger size - which explains why they would give a result of 52lbs.

She has high diversity for MHC genes

Her pedigree calculated 20 generation COI is 12.6% (her sires is 6% and dams 31.6%), her Embark genetic calculated COI is 8%
Is it that important to you?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Always interesting to have history of a breed. Border collies have lots of different results gathered by owners.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Personally, it may be a cruel thing to say but the sooner the breed dies out the better. Wicked dogs when there are so many more beautiful gentle kind dogs around.

Grudgingly say they are handsome, shame about the temperament.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 01:39 PM
I am sorry that you feel that way Moyra. I have worked with a lot of pit bulls and pit bull crosses and they were lovely. It is people that make a bad dog unless it is a problem with the brain. In which case it isn't the dogs fault just illness.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Always interesting to have history of a breed. Border collies have lots of different results gathered by owners.
I'm sure that's true for many dog owners but it doesn't greatly concern me. Ours came from a rescue centre and was picked up as a stray, so we have no prior history. He has turned out to be a well-mannered, gentle, and faithful fellow. And he has a good home with responsible owners. We gained and he gained.

If I'd have wanted one with a paper trail I would have gone to a breeder.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Sorry Brenda, but they do seem to be tarred with the same brush. I would never trust one. I am afraid it has also affected my views of Staffies which is unfair on them. I know I am bigoted when it comes to Pit bulls, I admit it.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Sorry Brenda, but they do seem to be tarred with the same brush. I would never trust one. I am afraid it has also affected my views of Staffies which is unfair on them. I know I am bigoted when it comes to Pit bulls, I admit it.
Do you know a lot of pit bulls (in view of the fact that they are banned breed in this country) I don't know any pit bulls - but plenty of staffies. One particular staffy bitch plays with my dogs and is a lovely girl - gentle, friendly and trustworthy with everybody and every dog. People should not tar them all with the same brush - each dog is individual and I have come across some pretty nasty poodles and yorkies. It is important not to judge a book by it's cover I think. We ourselves are hugely responsible for what our dogs grow up to be like.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2017, 01:45 AM
Curious how many you actually know. Or are you just going by the really messed up and often wrong media accounts? ("90 lb pit bull" = mastiff mix; "Family dog" = chained up out back but hey, it's OWNED by a family). Because I know many MANY pits and pit mixes. They are super popular here. And most are friendly, happy go lucky and very smart dogs. Some have dog aggression issues, as do many terriers (my GOSH do I know a lot of JRTs with dog aggression issues). But outside of dog aggression as a possibility, they are really lovely dogs.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2017, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I'm sure that's true for many dog owners but it doesn't greatly concern me. Ours came from a rescue centre and was picked up as a stray, so we have no prior history. He has turned out to be a well-mannered, gentle, and faithful fellow. And he has a good home with responsible owners. We gained and he gained.

If I'd have wanted one with a paper trail I would have gone to a breeder.
Even some of the dogs owned by Michael Vick, who were used for fighting, ended up being really well-mannered, gentle dogs. One was a therapy dog (passed on now I think) and another did agility.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >